Civilian swords?

Hello all,

My brother in law sent me these few photos of swords he acquired when his father passed away several years ago. Apparently, he brought back all three swords while stationed in Japan during and after the war. I told him that I believe all three are civilian swords. The saya’s with suspension rings has me scratching my head though.

Thoughts?

46C4864A-DDC4-4EF3-9151-3FFB9E900F38.jpeg

E17E91F2-ABC6-48AE-8E1C-CEFA829E6775.jpeg

5E43E021-1052-4E04-8671-ED615ABD4D20.jpeg

2B98F3A2-9443-473F-8A3A-8F760D4489CD.jpeg

HI David, we will need to see more detailed photos of the swords including the nakago (tang) with the handles removed. Please take care not to handle the polished blade with your hands directly as this will case rust. Wipe down the blade and keep it oiled.

Best regards,

Ray

• Like 1

To reiterate what Ray said, please don't touch the blades with your bare hands. This causes rust, which will damage the blades.

You either need to post better pictures or take it to someone who knows nihonto and can evaluate them in person.

• Like 1

Thank you for the comments... the blades aren’t in my possession. My brother in law doesn’t want to take them apart to expose the tang. I was only questioning the the mounts and the saya’s. I’ve told him the same about the blades... use a light coat of oil and don’t touch with bare hands

I understand the not wanting to take the handle off to expose the tang. If your brother in law is comfortable with maybe traveling to the San Francisco show going on. I'm pretty confident someone there can help you there if you want more in hand help. Sadly I don't know anything about the shows going on. But the blades appear to be civilian. Best of luck!

-Jace.

5 hours ago, KB1107 said:

I was only questioning the the mounts and the saya’s.

David, from the images I would say that all 3 swords are prewar. Just how old it’s impossible to tell without the images requested above. The suspension rings looks as if they were a “cheap” type that could used to mount older samurai period saya for WW2 wartime use. They were also used on actual WW2 saya. The original kurigata  is simply removed and the suspension mounts slid up the saya, sometimes glued in place. It’s a quick way to remount the sword. However the original saya sadly sustains damage in the process….chipped and worn lacquer etc etc The one with two rings was possibly mounted for a naval officer but the saya on that one looks WW2. Just my opinions….others know far more than me! I’m sure I’ll be corrected! 

• Like 3

I'm sorry, but I get kinda cross when people say "I don't want to take the handle off"
This is not taking apart your drone to see if you can fix it. Nihonto were MADE to be taken apart, and it's generally a 10 second process. Tell him to stop being silly. It's like he has a painting and there is a piece of masking tape over the signature and he doesn't want to take it off. The tang of a sword is VITAL to knowing anything about it. If he won't do that, he's going to know nothing about it. Simple as that.
In which case, he should pass it on to someone who does actually want to know something.
Sorry, but that is how I feel. I wonder how many $10K swords lie in collections unrecognized and rusting away because someone won't remove a wooden peg?

• Like 4

Hi Jace,

Thanks for the post... I don’t think he’s that interested about the swords to go to San Francisco (Not too far from him in Colorado). Collecting swords or WW2 items isn’t a hobby of his. He knows I collect WW1 & WW2 weapons and was just curious if I could tell him anything about these swords. I told him what I thought... and also wanted to know what this forum thought with the limited pics and info the he sent me.

Thanks again,

David

Hi Colin,

I completely agree with your assessment of these swords and actually told Bruce the same thing... (that’s the reason I mentioned about the 2 suspension rings, I was thinking naval as well). All the saya’s appear to be in rough condition as you’ve said... all the blades look to be in prett good condition... limited staining. I advised him to refrain from touching with bare hands and to put a light coat of oil on them once in while. A very good possibility that they’re old blades... 

Thanks again for chiming in!

David

Hi Brian,

They’re not my swords and I don’t like to tell people to do something they’re not comfy in doing. I also don’t want to feel responsible if he gets a little too aggressive with removing the tsuka and something breaks. I explained to him it’s a simple process of removing a wooden dowel. I’m heading up to see them in August... maybe I can help him and post pics here if that happens. 

Believe me... I would like to know if there’s a signature and what time period they’re from as well.

Thanks for the post,

David

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I finally made it out to Colorado Springs (Bruce’s neck of the woods). My bother-in-law set out the swords before they left on vacation.

I believe 2 of the 3 swords are pre war and very old. The first one I will post appears to be war time (IMO). The nakago looks too clean to be old and the metal appears to be anti rust? 

2 out of the 3 swords are signed. Not very easy to get photos of the wakizashi signature.  This sword is the worst condition of the three.

Hope the photos will be sufficient.

A20B6036-0C91-454E-9491-40E97843CB6B.jpeg

30115E8B-D56E-4C03-ABB8-72929C49BF54.jpeg

First one

筑紫四郎国光作  Chikushi Shirō Kunimitsu saku     Made by Shirō Kunimitsu of Chikushi Province (Fukuoka Prefecture)

Second one

家次 Ietsugu (swordsmith's name). There were a few swordsmiths who produced swords under this name. 

• Like 5

Yeah - its too tough to say what era the sword is from by looking at these photos. There are something like 20+ swordsmiths who used the name "Ietsugu", and they spanned about 600 years from the 1200s to the 1800s. My wild guess is that your sword is toward the latter end of that spectrum. 

Hello and thank you for the link…  the Kunimitsu is in pretty good condition, as is the other Katana (Without a signature). The only poor condition one is the wakizashi. 

I’ve added a couple photos of the Kunimitsu blade

A726C014-3712-48CF-BA79-A33425D0926E.jpeg

6AF43949-D67D-42D0-A9E7-344A145AB8F7.jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..