My First Nihonto - Kanemoto, or Gimei?

Mosin25

I received my first Nihonto today. It may or may not be a legitimately signed Kanemoto Wakizashi, but the mei might either be a lesser known Kanemoto signature, or simply Gimei. If it is Gimei, an expert in the field seems to think the blade might be a Sue Bizen blade, potentially, judging by what appears to be a crab claw choji on the hamon, and the overall style of the hamon, but the yasurimei is in the Mino style. If that is the case, that should mean it's from the Muromachi era/period. The fittings are later, Edo from the Shoami school. It appears to have a few small forging flaws, but nothing of any concern since it's going to hang on my wall for my enjoyment. I love the single/dual bohi on the blade, and I think it gives a very unique look! Any input on what this sword may be, if it isn't a legitimate Kanemoto Wakizashi? Another friend suggested, possibly Shiga Seki, but it seems like the hamon might be closest to that, or Sue Bizen. The Hamon is really nice looking in person, but a bit difficult to photograph in its current condition. I don't think this particular one is worth sending to Shinsa, especially if Gimei, and since it was on the cheap side, I don't think it's worth sending for polish either, so it will be a nice entry-level Wakizashi to hang on my wall, I'll appreciate it, and keep it oiled with choji oil. It sure looks great on the wall with my pre-WWII Type 95! I would love some more insight, on what you guys think this blade might be since there seems to be a handful of differing opinions - whether Gimei/maker of the blade, age, etc. 

Flickr album link, since there's a ton of pictures:

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzUjyR

52147298536_4664dc220a_o.jpg

286673240_5278645228846062_4102191202356029004_n.jpg

On 6/15/2022 at 1:47 AM, PNSSHOGUN said:

The Nakago on this one does have a somewhat reminiscent shape for the later generation Kanemoto, but the quality of the Mei and workmanship look radically different. 

Yeah, that's what I'm not sure of. The mei (for most people I asked looked more or less good, especially with the file marks in Mino school style), but... The hamon/choji is different than known Kanemoto styles. Not sure on this one. 

On 6/15/2022 at 4:44 PM, David Flynn said:

I'd be looking at Shinshinto.  Maybe even Gendai.

From a few people I asked, they thought likely Muromachi, based on the hamon/choji style, but I could be wrong since I'm still very new to this. 

I took the sword apart yesterday and took some better pictures of the mei and the nakago. I'm told the Yasuri-me is in the style of Mino school, but that the hamon/choji are not necessarily in the style of known Kanemoto. 

52168901728_dc775273be_o.jpg

52167870722_6048d1e317_o (1).jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..