Hamano School design

Grevedk

Dear NMB members,

I have recently acquired this beautiful Tsuba with a finely carved design of a dragon in cloud’s. Metal base is refined copper (suaka), and it’s size is about 70 mm x 62 mm x 4 mm (probably made for a wakizashi). 

The design and Mei indicate and corresponds with the Hamano School, but I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and comments on the subject - and especially on the translation of the Mei.

D67C418A-EC60-4D6D-919A-74926385F11A.thumb.jpeg.a627f47ce20963d4115f45a9d5bb5c83.jpegB5BF8324-5D4A-444D-9535-7176F828E9FB.thumb.jpeg.5d59a734aab24e1efc86a1dfe69d0439.jpegF6983BE1-280E-4F58-8FE9-E9293583D3EE.thumb.jpeg.f39587f3ec167f6eb5f15148cd96e261.jpeg

Best regards

Soren

Thank you Bruno - much appreciated translation as I had my hopes🙏🤓

Yes - it’s a big name, and a very fine craftsman. The Tsuba is heavy for it’s size, and the atagane (Kogai Hitsu-Ana) is probably Shakudo. So - it looks and feels like real quality and craftsmanship.

I have however seen a few Mei from Hamano Noriyuki, and most of them had also a Kao inscribed  - does that say something when it’s missing on this piece? And is it possible to say anything about which generation - I or II generation Noriyuki? Maybe an early work of one of them?🤔 

I acknowledge that these questions may belong under the Tosugu forum but would really appreciate any further comments on design, generation and whatever comes to mind.

/Soren

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..