Any info on this mokko tsuba?

jdawg221

Hello JMB,

Welcome to the forum!  I like your tsuba!  It looks fairly old and seems to have been mounted before.  I also have used Edo period tsuba to mount on two of my iaito swords.  They work great, and it is neat to have a piece of history on my training swords!

Good luck,

With respect,

Dan

Hello again, JMB.

I don't know that much about tsuba, but I am certain there are others that will read this thread and help you identify the school of maker.  One thing I find interesting after looking closer at the pictures.  It appears that the tsuba was mounted on at least two blades.  I see a piece of copper at the top of the "nakago-ana" (the middle long slot where the tang of the blade would fit).  Then I also see where there has been what appears to be a second layer (of lead?) added to the copper to re-fit it to another blade.  I don't know if that is copper on the top and bottom of the tsuba that appears to be added to what were "holes" in the tsuba.  Maybe a picture of the other side of the tsuba would help others to ascertain the characteristics of your tsuba.  Anyway, just trying to help!

With respect,

Dan

JMB,

the two copper "plugs" seem to fill two holes that were perhaps made to fix the TSUBA to a background (for presentation purposes?). This would be considered as damage and devalue the TSUBA. These "plugs" look recent, so have a look at them and show us the backside. Of course, the holes might also be original to the TSUBA.

• Like 1

JMB - Dan is correct about it being mounted at least twice - so you can consider it was treasured. The copper plugs look like they are riveted on in the traditional way edges beaten thin and slightly irregular in shape. The surface of the guard is pitted in certain areas, a lot where the seppa would have been, all pointing to age. School difficult to say - it would just be speculation on my part. Someone might help by identifying the sukashi pattern in the corners - it isn't the common inome style.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kissakai said:

Is it tansu handles?

These are often called drawer handles but I think they are more properly Warabité or uncurling fern frond designs. In fact I suspect that in many cases the handles on tansu themselves were designed in ancient Warabité style.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..