Alternative tsukamaki wrapping (leather)?

So, after watching a couple of old films (1962's Harakiri and 1955's Bloody Spear at Mount Fuji), I noticed a few of the main characters tsukas were wrapped in what appeared to be a single, flat piece of black leather (smooth, not twisted strands) - rather than Ito cord etc.

Now, I've basically come to expect Tsuka Ito as the default - but was this always the case? ...or, am I just noticing film prop details that aren't relevant to real nihonto or the period?

• Like 1

Dear Michael.

There are a huge range of styles and materials used for this, just when you think you have seen them all another pops up.  I'm quite partial to this style.

Maple1.thumb.JPG.8d0aa6dfad153850377aeb77c894475e.JPG

From your desvciption it sounds as though what you are seeing is plainer than this, as Mark suggests a scren shot will help.

All the best.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Geraint said:

Dear Michael.

There are a huge range of styles and materials used for this, just when you think you have seen them all another pops up.  I'm quite partial to this style.

From your desvciption it sounds as though what you are seeing is plainer than this, as Mark suggests a scren shot will help.

All the best.

What material is that - and how does it adhere to the Tsuka?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Geraint said:

Dear Michael.

All the best.

Geraint,

I have a tsuka like that but don't know what the wrapping material is.  What are those typically made of?  I thought it felt maybe like leather.  Your example though looks like one solid piece.

Dea Michael

The first exmple is lacquered leather to match the saya colour.  @Charles I don't think baleen, that presents as thin, slightly shiny strands, often found on tanto koshirae.  Looks almost like a plastic.

@Adam, I really like your tsuka, certainly looks like leather.  I have two wakizashi mounted in rather similar ways, the one I posted I am fairly sure is leather, but lacquered.  The other is more of a puzzle as on close inspection I think I can see a grid pattern under the surface so perhaps a thin leather wrapped around a woven tape for greater strength.

Maple2.thumb.JPG.58ed0e73e7377f41fbfb9d6d29ef5688.JPG

CIMG1101.thumb.JPG.ac80a6543c22500e89be88e88f382b5f.JPG

Enjoying this thread guys, keep them coming!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting thread. Just to add to this ...I am interested in WWII examples. Here is the gangi-maki hilt from my WWII gendaito. Not sure what the binding is...seems leather.

I have seen 2 other WWII like this ... not common, but they do exist...all have been true gendaito.

Regards

seisui with scabbard.jpg

seisui hilt.jpg

seisui button close.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Adam,

yes I have seen that "wrapped" saya as well - also was on a Type 3 mount with RJT star stamped? blade. Hilt was the typical lacquered Type 3 binding style.

Regards,

PS...the two other examples I saw mounted gangi-maki like mine were both private order swords...not sure if this is important, but one was 23rd Gen Seki Kanefusa (OA pic) and the other is owned by a member here I think...it is by Ikkansai Kuniteru (hilt pic).

23rd_generation_kanefusa_15.jpg

ikkansai kuniteru mounts.jpg

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..