Thoughts on first tsuba

Xander Chia

I recently acquired my first tsuba via Jauce. I know I should probably have asked for opinions on it before purchasing but the auction was ending soon. I checked for any signs to see if it was cast as best I could and didn’t find any. Any info about the tusba would be great(Mainly if it’s a fake)! Hope I didn’t get burned.

Thanks for the help!

Xander, I think late Edo, two tones of gold nunome-zogan (布目象嵌) for the most part in good condition [nunome is one of the easiest decoration types to damage]- it has a faint seppa shadow so it was likely mounted for some time. The patina looks a bit patchy but that might be the lighting - entry level guard but better than my first and I am sure this is true of a lot of collectors. 

When you post could you include the size? It looks Wakizashi size (脇差) to me but not sure. [how big are your hands?]

You can always ask before the next guard you go for - with the caveat that you may be advertising your find to someone with more money in their pocket, don't include any links to auctions that have not finished, images are safer. [links after the fact are ok.]

Good luck in your collecting - no one ever stops at one! :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I agree with all Dale has said. For a first Tsuba it is not the worst you could do.

Every guard you buy is another piece of valuable information towards your learning. You may or may not hold on to this guard, but anything you learn from it will transfer to the next piece. Helping you in your decision of the next acquisition and further maintenance. You have a starting point to your collection, keep us updated to where your collection heads.

• Like 4

Congrats on the start of your new addiction :)

The steel should clean up fairly well with some scraping with antler or ivory. It will even out the appearance of the steel surface once you get those tiny rust bubbles off the surface.

Don't use any metal wire brushes of any kind or you'll scratch through the patina that that gives it an aged appearance.

Also make sure not to scrape the gold overlay with anything or you'll take it right off.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

On 6/11/2022 at 9:40 AM, Spartancrest said:

Xander, I think late Edo, two tones of gold nunome-zogan (布目象嵌) for the most part in good condition [nunome is one of the easiest decoration types to damage]- it has a faint seppa shadow so it was likely mounted for some time. The patina looks a bit patchy but that might be the lighting - entry level guard but better than my first and I am sure this is true of a lot of collectors. 

When you post could you include the size? It looks Wakizashi size (脇差) to me but not sure. [how big are your hands?]

You can always ask before the next guard you go for - with the caveat that you may be advertising your find to someone with more money in their pocket, don't include any links to auctions that have not finished, images are safer. [links after the fact are ok.]

Good luck in your collecting - no one ever stops at one! :)

Sorry for the wait. I too found it a little small when I removed it from the packaging. Agree that it’s most probably for a wakizashi.

4820ADA2-4382-43E1-8F71-C8264631AFCD.jpeg

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..