Katana by Miyamoto Kanenori

waljamada

Miyamoto Kanenori was born in Hóki, where from an early age he aspired to become a swordsmith, and entered the Mon of Yokoyama Sukekane. At first he was called Noto no Kami, and his works are seen from the Bunkyú era. Later he went up to Kyoto, and became a craftsman fort the Imperial Household.

In 1907 he created the honourable position of Teishitsu Gigein – “Imperial Household Artisan” which might be considered to be similar to today’s Ningen Kokuho or “Living National Treasure”. In the field of sword making, this award was granted to the two swordsmiths, Gassan Sadakazu and Miyamoto Kanenori. 
His work spanned 60 years and he died at the age of 97 on Taisho Jugonen Jugatsu Nijuyoka (24 Oct.1926)

SmartSelect_20220609-231616_Chrome.jpg

Marco, found one thats not too badly priced but it's mumei with a hozon paper attribution to him with a red lacquer mei that's not really legible (hozon paper does say mumei).  Would love a signed one as I also love the symbol he uses on some of his meis.  The blade I found has a few small cosmetic flaws (and obviously the mumei papered aspect hurts it) so thought I'd see if someone on the board has something.

10 hours ago, reeder said:

I had one a year to two ago that was in Kyu-gunto mounts, kogarasu maru, and 27"+ nagasa.  It had his imperial artisan signature too.  I believe it was one of the swords in Slough's now that I think about it.

Woah....pics?  I think he's got one of the cooler Artisan signatures with the circles...making a circle...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam

I have nothing for sale

This is however the particular swordsmith that my small collection is based on 

The circular signature/mon that you speak of , do you have a picture of it ?

Is it a "9" circle mon (known as Ku Yo mon ) ? It usually appears on the ura/date side 

Cheers  , AlanK

Yes Adam

As you may already know...

This has the Sho Shichii mei (7th rank of Imperial Court)

At around age 90 he was awarded this rank

He is aged 92 for this blade

It is said the kuyo mon is only found on his most latest blades 

Kanenori's family crest is actually ivy mon

Hi Adam 

Sorry for late reply

I will not post pictures  , as this is your post (in wanted to buy section ! )

I just wanted to explain to you  , what I understand about your original post request in order to help you  , if that's OK ?

I do have a katana (+ 2 x wakizashis made by this Smith) with this mei/kuyo mon , all are certified  , they have just broken 100 and 101 year age barriers 

These blades are important as they prove that his career expanded in excess of over 70 years (there is a book written on him - Teishitsu Gigein - the 60 swords by Miyamoto Kanenori) ordered to make 60 swords for a shrine - by the Emporer of Japan 

As Teishitsu Giegin /Shoshichii , he had to complete , many Imperial Orders /Special requests  

I , as well , am on the lookout for another Shoshichii katana , however have not seen another one for sale  (I'm sure there are some out there  , however,  at this Age/Title Status , I  know  they were only made on special order)

Kanenori Surpassed the Imperial Court Artisan Title - Teishitsu Geiggin ......

And to my knowledge was " The Only Swordsmith to be given a " Direct Imperial/Hierarchy Court Ranking  - Shoshichii  # 7 of The Imperial Court " in this time .....?

I feel he is under rated 

He is , " Clearly  - One of the Most Superior Swordsmiths' of This Time  ! "

Continue Your Quest , as I will , and keep in touch  !

Cheers , AlanK

AlanK,

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and thoughts on Miyamoto Kanenori and I'm glad some of his excellent works have found their way into your collection.  Sounds they found the right person.

This maker's life is indeed an intriguing one of note and acclaim.  His designations and commissions speak to this clearly.  Also, as a side note, I love the photos of him in his old age.  A man who followed an art through a long life to the end.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone with a Miyamoto Kanenori eye able to see anything of him in this blade?  It's mumei, has the remnants of a lacquered mei to a different smith (Enju Kuniyoshi) but has Hozon papers attributing to Miyamoto Kanenori.  So there are honest reasons for skepticism. 

Just thought I'd see if anyone has any observations either way on this blade.  Did get the feedback from one member whose learned opinions I respect that they were unconvinced of the Miyamoto Kanenori attribution. 

I requested pics of the hozon papers.

*other side notes: appears shortened and re-mounted a few times.  Also maybe odd the lacquer mei wasn't completely removed when Hozon papered in 2009.

SmartSelect_20220810-213539_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20220810-213555_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20220810-213618_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20220810-213635_Chrome.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..