Sayagaki help

Paz

Hi all. 

I've got a professional calligraphy artist to do sayagaki for me and would like to confirm the formatting. 

So am I right in assuming that 

Swrdsmith name at top 

Era or date sword was made middle 

Followed by length of blade 

And can the calligraphy artist sign their name at the bottom ? 

I've also attached the hozon paperwork for translation as reference, as it's Akasaka senjuin Kanesaki. 1521 ? 

Also the artist is Japanese and will probably be able to read the text in hozon. 

Thanks 

20220609_153428.jpg

Ah sorry gents. Yes this is mumei attributed to kanesaki, the dates are 1521-1528 from the sales card, and apologies i did post a translation request for this work few months back which ray answered. 

So my question stands would the format

As attributed Smith 

Date

Length 

Artist name 

Be fine ? Thanks 

There are different formats, but generally Attribution > Description > Length > Date > Scholar's name. 

Personally (my opinion only), if using a professional calligrapher rather than a sword scholar I would leave the artist's name off.

• Like 2

Usually a sayagaki is written (and signed) by a trusted 'expert' in kantei whose sayagaki written opinion will be known and respected by others who trust that person's reputation.  Format I have seen is: attribution, description of quality (why blade is important), date of blade, length, date sayagaki was written, signature of scholar.

There is also what is know as an 'inventory' sayagaki.  This can contain any information you wish.  One (old one) I have is: attribution, zaimei or mumei statement, and length. I would think adding blade date (if known) after length would be in order, but usually that information should probably be on the nakago or at least on the papers, otherwise it is a bit of a 'guess' (my opinion only).  If you ever find out the blade is a different date, it's not like you can erase it and change.  I suppose you could make note of the Hozon paper, but that is probabaly getting to be too much info.  Once again, my opinion, but I don't think the calligrapher should sign as they are not 'authenticating' anything other than their written artwork.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi one final question I do have. 

Are you allowed to do sayagaki on the tsuka of the shirasaya or does it start habaki upwards. 

The reason I ask is that I see most sayagaki done after and nothing on the tsuka. 

But if the blade is less than 70cm say 67cm. Would it be OK to start writing from tsuka upwards? 

Again I'm doing sayagaki only for aesthetic reasons, i have the hozon papers. And don't initially plan to sell on. 

Thanks

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..