Cryptic NTHK Reference?

I know this is a longshot.  Recently I purchased a jumonji yari at the Chicago Show (shared in a previous thread).  It came without papers.  Seller didn't think he had papers for it (owned it a long time) but was going to check his archives just in case he was incorrect, but I haven't heard back yet, so I am assuming no luck.  Per the attached image, taped on the shirasaya at the bottom is a reference tag.  The Heian Jo Fujiwara Kunishige matches the mei.  I'm just wondering if the last line matches anything anyone can think of?  I read it as NTHK 611 P27.  The seller did not know/did not remember what it meant.  Did the NTHK ever publish any information like a journal or other publication?  Just wondering if the P27 is "Page 27"?  611 could be June, 2011 or a publication number?  The "P" is a little blurry, but it doesn't look like a number so I don't think 611P27 is a serial number to a NTHK Kanteisho Paper (the blurry "P" being a number instead of a letter)?  Does anybody see anything else?  This will probably remain a mystery, but if you have any thoughts, I would appreciate it. 

IMG_8221 resize.jpg

NTHK has their magazine 刀剣と歴史 Tōken to Rekishi. Unfortunately I don't have these magazines and this is not accessible online at NDL but the 611 issue is 3rd number in 1996. Articles are listed at NDL and the article in question is - 山城守国重百国入道系譜 / 森義隆/p25~30 You can see magazine articles in here: https://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/7901305?tocOpened=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are both AMAZING!  Thank you Mark & Jussi.  

Went to look at the link and found Volume 611 pages 25-30 is titled (translates to): Genealogy of Yamashiro no kami (Governor of Yamashiro Province) Shige Hyakukoku Nyudo / Yoshitaka Mori / p25-30 

So I believe Kunishige worked in Yamashiro and did receive the “Yamashiro no kami” title. Not sure if I will be able to obtain copy of article to see if this yari is referenced specifically or if there is information about the smith.  

Thank you so much Michael!  The NMB (and the people here) never cease to amaze me.  First, the resources we have available, but second, and more importantly, how generous so many of you are with your time and information.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mark S. said:

Thank you so much Michael!  The NMB (and the people here) never cease to amaze me.  First, the resources we have available, but second, and more importantly, how generous so many of you are with your time and information.  

Mark, it is not a big issue. It is kind of giving back... we all started somewhere and frankly I learnt a lot when I was starting to use NMB some 15+ years ago, initially as an unregistered lurker/reader, then as a registered passive user and eventually as a poster. I find if people are polite, balanced and courteous, and come across as genuine (making an effort to do some work themselves or to study) we can get a lot out of the board. 

Now the text I circled I think  talks about a Hidenobu Kako (the rest is that it is a spear, the date 1760 and length and by Fujiwara Kunishige). The actual Japanese speakers here can chime in on the actual meaning.

However, it seems that your yari is the one on the following page / p27 (the top page here) as opposed to the first page (with the red rectangle) on p26. 

So, apologies I circled the wrong text above. 

Ganbatte! 

• Like 3

So it would appear that the reference taped to the shirasaya was a mei comparison reference.  Still interesting.  Yari in the article is a standard yari, mine is a jumonji yari.  I do appreciate all the help in the hunt for the information. :thumbsup: Just the idea that I could have purchased something that was referenced in one of the NTHK articles was interesting.  See below for the standard yari mei in the article vs my jumonji yari mei.  

Nakago Translation comparison.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..