Kai Gunto Tsuba Markings

Hello,

Recently picked up my first kai gunto. Upon disassembly I discovered unusual markings underneath the dai-seppa. Have not seen anything that matches it online before. Is it possibly an older tsuba reworked for this kai? Has anyone every seen something like this before?

Thanks

image0 (29).jpeg

image1 - 2022-06-06T220447.438.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Do the other seppa have the hole for a retention strap?  Is the saya leather covered?  Pics would help.

What about the blade?  Is it old or a Showa era blade?

Hi Bruce, 
The other seppa seem standard for a kai. The piece pictured above appears to be made of copper. The other seppa all match up and have holes for a working retention strap/clip. The saya is ray skin covered. The blade appears to be mumei with only the numbers 九六 painted on. Blade has legit hamon but I think the blade is oil quenched or something. I don't see any stamps but noticed a suspect spot were one may have been at one time. The sword also came with a surender tag as well

image4 (81).jpeg

image0 (4).png

image5 (68).jpeg

image6 (47).jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..