Tanto in Aikuch mounts-signed 'Hizen no Kuni Tadayoshi'

roger dundas

Have I posted this before ? If so I just don't recall any comments regarding the name which I quite honestly considered to be gimei/spurious when purchased in 2008. I once earlier had katana signed Tadayoshi with military leather covered civilian saya and was pretty pleased with myself until gently advised by my friend BaZZa that it was gimei. A bit deflating for the novice.

The blade was what appealed, 21cm long, 1cm thick at its thickest at the habaki. I am unable to comment about the worthiness of the blade itself because I just wouldn't know. The simple shibuichi mounts and laquered saya are all in good order and that is also what appeals.

I would welcome any comments and apologise if this is a reprise of an earlier posting.

My wife who took the pics wondered if it isn't the early stage of memory collapse ?

Roger j

Tanto a.JPG

Tanto a2.JPG

Tanto a7.JPG

Tanto a9.JPG

Tanto a3.JPG

Tanto a5.JPG

Tanto a6.JPG

Tanto a10.JPG

Tanto a8.JPG

Tanto a11.JPG

Edited by roger dundas
  • Like 2

Thanks for responding Ray and as I thought.  I presume it would be better to have no makers name at all, have it removed or leave as is ?

From what I see here, countless nihonto, tosogu as well carry a gimei attributions and aren't removed . Again thank you.

Roger j

Thanks Bruce and I always appreciate your comments, all of them. 

I think what has happened is we took pictures some couple of years back but didn't get around to posting them for some reason but found them stored away when we took this lot.

I liked the thick blade too.

Roger j

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..