Bizen Omiya Morishige Tanto - Tokubetsu Hozon with Sanada Koshirae

JakeNYC

Hi everyone - I have a tanto for sale. ***Please click on pictures for full resolution***

It is Tokubetsu Hozon, with a 20.6CM nagasa, and signed by Bizen Omiya Morishige.  $8500 (shipping in USA included)

The hakogaki adds intrigue to the package by stating that this has been "handed down" ("den rai") within the Sanada family. Yes, that one. Full clarity: I've already checked with the Sanada museum, and am happy to provide the results of that exchange with you; long story short, their records do not have a Bizen Omiya Morishige tanto- however- their records are not complete, and this is something that the museum itself conveyed to me in our correspondence. Further research would be needed to attempt to verify the hakogaki stating that this is den rai Sanada. I will say however, that the hakogaki is from a time when Kanzan was interviewing Daimyo families and checking out their collections (1960s). It also has an earlier torokusho. The koshirae features the Rokumonsen and Karigane (Wild Goose) of the Sanada.

The blade is elegant, with a bright nioi-based hamon in gently undulating, nearly symmetrical gunome-midare; what one would expect of the Soshu-influenced Bizen style of this period.  The sayagaki states that this is the elusive Nanbokucho Morishige. Not many oshigata exist of his signature. The NBTHK did not state "Nanbokucho" on the kanteisho, however there is a daito with this designation on a 2016 Tokubetsu Hozon kanteisho that has a similar hamon. I can provide pictures of this for you to reference. My research indicates that later generations of Morishige in this tradition gravitated toward choji and togari in their hamon. This does not have that.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions or would like more specific pictures

Thanks for looking

Jake

IMG_9649.JPG

IMG_9646.JPG

IMG_9648.JPG

IMG_9650.JPG

IMG_9669.JPG

IMG_9671.JPG

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..