Unusual tanto tsuba

Okan

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of an up-date - this guard shown amongst the group Posted June 5 above. https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/tsuba-Japan-edo-zeit-2156-c-521443f8da   Has an intact double in the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery. Number  1930M934

It can be found in Greville Cooke's book on the Museum,  page 138.   With a little luck Grev might be able to show the full guard. :bowdown:

rimless like Birmingham Museum p138 1930M934.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You are probably correct Okan, many of these cut-down examples would be a bit dangerous for the swordsman and I can't see a smart samurai using one that would likely get caught on clothing and be an ever present hand cutter! Who cut them down and who kept them? Something to sell to tourists? [Gaijin collectors?]

An interesting side road to study - like most things the more you look the more you find.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just looking at the nakago-ana I would say modern cast fake. It is in with three other guards that also don't look correct- I like the description by the seller - " Sword accessories Items like sword guards."  https://www.jauce.com/auction/m1067617040

The question still remains was it based on a "true" guard and did that guard originally have a rim? :dunno:

image.thumb.png.d82f326297df17d4310c9d81c036eb36.png

• Like 7

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..