Japanese sword taken from Iwo Jima

Michael mahoney

Dear Mike.

Forgive me if you know this alredy but don't clean anything!  Wipe the blade with some light oil and cloth but nothing more.  When you look up Tanba no kami Terukado you will find lots of information.  He was working in the 1600s.

However there is always the possibility of this being an incorrect signature so don't get too excited just yet.  Give us some more pictures and we will see where  this goes.

Welcome to the complex world of Japanese swords!

ALl the best.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 6:25 AM, Geraint said:

Dear Mike.

Forgive me if you know this alredy but don't clean anything!  Wipe the blade with some light oil and cloth but nothing more.  When you look up Tanba no kami Terukado you will find lots of information.  He was working in the 1600s.

However there is always the possibility of this being an incorrect signature so don't get too excited just yet.  Give us some more pictures and we will see where  this goes.

Welcome to the complex world of Japanese swords!

ALl the best.

1EDBE23A-7DA0-4DFA-A0B5-AEB903BB63C4.thumb.jpeg.43561d7bc4eb2085fa82ccbcf094c4d2.jpegD6A1F427-D8D7-4C56-A16B-287FE15CBDA6.thumb.jpeg.089fdd11fbe4c6799486add68e7958ea.jpeg1EDBE23A-7DA0-4DFA-A0B5-AEB903BB63C4.thumb.jpeg.43561d7bc4eb2085fa82ccbcf094c4d2.jpeg

On 6/2/2022 at 2:41 PM, Lanegan said:

Looks intriguing.  I think better photos are in order...  Can you get more shots in focus and more areas of the blade / fittings etc.?

I added pictures what do you guys think I was thinkin 

About getting the blade re-chromedAbout getting the blade re-chromed

• Wow 1

Mike, right now is a good time to stop doing anything to your blade. There is a huge gap in your knowledge, & you need to fill it with some studying.

I suggest heading over to Amazon, where $20 will buy you https://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Sword-Handbook-John-Yumoto/dp/4805311347  which is a good primer for this very complex field.

• Like 2

Mei reads Tanba no kami Fujiwara Terukado 丹波守藤原照門 but this sword is gimei (false signature). A proper polishing would be more expensive than the real value of this blade. 

Terukado used a particular nakago jiri even if it had different variants

http://world.seiyudo.com/product/swa-090221/

After re-looking at your photos, I see why you are talking about chrome!  Looks like chunks of it have flaked off.  Better pics, more clearly focused of these areas would help.

There was a short period early in the war when they experimented with chromed blades.  I have one myself.  But they found it didn't prevent rusting, like they thought, so it was discontinued.  If this was in fact chromed, I'm not sure I would attempt to have it re-chromed, but that is a personal preference.  I simply oil mine to stop the rusted areas.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..