Unsigned Katana inquiry.

So I came across this recent listing of an unsigned katana. The blade looks very nice, in excellent condition, and well crafted. Wondering why something like this would be unsigned as well as have seemingly sub par furnishings. Also what makes it hozon as opposed to tokugetsu hozon. Thanks https://samuraistore.com/products/katana-t1081-nbthk?_pos=9&_sid=8e308f980&_ss=r

There are many blades that are unsigned. In this case it is a koto blade and very likely shortened during its life. When the blade is shortened the mei is often lost.

Re the fittings, while not spectacular I don't think "sub par" is a reasonable assessment. The tsuka is bound in doeskin rather than silk braid which may be giving you the impression it is less well done. The polish looks rather harsh but Iesuke is a recorded and well respected smith (smiths as several generations existed I think)

The blade looks good, the smith is good (Iesuke is an Oei Bizen smith, so rates to the end 14 c.- beginning of 15c) , the blade is papered and you have nice Higo style koshirae (so, different aesthetic). 

His signed blades tend to be 72-75cm, so here due to the suriage the mei was lost.

The consignor/dealer might have felt this is at most a TH blade, hence if selling why bother with additional time/expense of TH when can sell with a Hozon only.

Anyway, who knows....

Thanks everyone for the responses, I’m new to this and want to get a full understanding of value and appraisal of these antique swords so I can be better educated when I decide to invest in one for myself. If there’s any other tips or things to look for, let me know, it would be much appreciated. Thanks 

I think it is interesting that it is attributed towards Iesuke. That is bit rarer attribution from NBTHK, so they must see some quality features on that sword. As much more common would be more general attribution to Kozori etc. I do think NBTHK would put this towards late Nanbokuchō - early Muromachi Iesuke as Michael said above, and due to fact they elevated it to Tokubetsu Hozon and they have certain criteria for mumei blades (related to age).

The thing is that there are hundreds of similarish swords available for purchase so if you are after late Nanbokuchō to Early Muromachi Bizen you will have lots and lots of signed and even more unsigned options available.

17 minutes ago, Jussi Ekholm said:

I think it is interesting that it is attributed towards Iesuke. That is bit rarer attribution from NBTHK, so they must see some quality features on that sword. As much more common would be more general attribution to Kozori etc. I do think NBTHK would put this towards late Nanbokuchō - early Muromachi Iesuke as Michael said above, and due to fact they elevated it to Tokubetsu Hozon and they have certain criteria for mumei blades (related to age).

The thing is that there are hundreds of similarish swords available for purchase so if you are after late Nanbokuchō to Early Muromachi Bizen you will have lots and lots of signed and even more unsigned options available.

I am most drawn to that period, is there any specific site you could suggest for katana along the lines of this, or just antique Nihonto in general?

Friesen, 

There are a quantity of Japanese sword dealers listed in the links section above under “info”. Have a look at what they have to offer, read and learn what you can and do what you’ve just done - ask questions.

You’re possibly on a tricky situation in that you probably have money in your pocket but you’re a novice. Take your time - even with authenticated blades there are potential pitfalls as the papers don’t necessarily tell you all you need to know. There are lots of swords out there and there’s no need to go treasure hunting until you know what you’re about. 

4 minutes ago, Shugyosha said:

Friesen, 

There are a quantity of Japanese sword dealers listed in the links section above under “info”. Have a look at what they have to offer, read and learn what you can and do what you’ve just done - ask questions.

You’re possibly on a tricky situation in that you probably have money in your pocket but you’re a novice. Take your time - even with authenticated blades there are potential pitfalls as the papers don’t necessarily tell you all you need to know. There are lots of swords out there and there’s no need to go treasure hunting until you know what you’re about. 

That is the case, thank you for your insights . My aim is to become more knowledgeable.

2 hours ago, SteveM said:

It's not a Hozon paper, its a Tokubetsu Hozon paper. 

Sorry I made be sounding dumb here, I’m just slightly confused still as it’s listed as a Hozon on the site, and it does seem to be the pale yellow. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Friesen said:

That is the case, thank you for your insights . My aim is to become more knowledgeable.

Sorry I made be sounding dumb here, I’m just slightly confused still as it’s listed as a Hozon on the site, and it does seem to be the pale yellow. 

I understand it clearly says Tokubetsu Hozon, it’s just weird a Japanese site/ Company would overlook that.

Some Japanese sites are lazy or careless when it comes to English translation. Some are incompetent (which is a kind of laziness). 

And, some of us on NMB are also on reddit, so if you cross post there... we can see it. ;-) 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..