This komonjo is rather obviously gimei, but what period is it from?

I know many others have mixed emotions about using swords for kata and other sorts of training. I could be making myself a fool for not fully knowing what kata is. But if you are planning to use this sword for training. I would advise you use a modern reproduction as antique nihonto are unreplaceable. Again, I could be making myself for a fool.

For kata, an unsharpened iaito is usually recommended as it is far less dangerous to the user... and to the blade.  What has your instructor recommended?  Will a sharpened blade, mounted as it currently is, be allowed in the dojo?  Does the size, style and weight match the style you are practicing and your body size/type?  Wouldn't it make more sense to know "what it is" before you buy it?

I have an iaito and multiple other shinken for iaito, but was interested in this particularly the dimensions of it. Ive had people told me its a chinese blade, but I havent ever seen a chinese made plade with such a prominent kissaki and polish

Needed a capital letter to help us newbies! :)

“This komonjo is rather obviously gimei, but what period is it from?”
suggested to me an old manuscript that was gimei, so, having seen a few I was interested in the article! :laughing:

Like an old strip light, it took time for my brain to come on…

On 5/28/2022 at 6:20 AM, PNSSHOGUN said:

The thoughts are these are made in Korea or China, as the quality is unknown caution should be used if used for cutting.

Agreed. 

You can get perfectly good/safe modern swords from outside of Japan of course (often discussed when this topic arises on the board), but we know very little about these “Komonjo” blades. 

There was a smith in china making very good quality swords using iron sand. They were selling on ebay as bare blades, or you could have koshirae made. A lot of people bought and used them for tameshigiri. Story "someone" assuming another ebay sword business offered him good money for his business and ebay account and he stopped being a swordsmith. The swords for sale now are Nothing like what they were. 

I wouldn't doubt for a second all of these blades are coming from China. They can produce good stuff if someone pays for it. Look at all the modern "Japanese" swords popping up for sale on ebay by U.S sellers. Almost all of them have no habaki, and mekugi-ana drilled. Havent looked at them in a while, but I have seen them with what look like oil quenched blades. They're obviously buying them in bulk from somewhere. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..