Help translating komonjo sword(assuming its gimei)

jdawg221

If you want me to send more pics, I can. I haven't received the sword yet, as I have yet to pay fully for it due to credit card issues, but Im not paying too much for it. Also note the fittings are new, done up by a member of sbg forums

20210621_234501.jpg

20210621_234633.jpg

20210621_234554.jpg

20210621_234615.jpg

Authentic Japanese steel for the most part has life/motion in it, regardless even when it features suguha hamon. I don't see any of that featured in This sword.

It's my opinion based on the photos and I'm 99.99% certain it is not an Authentic Japanese traditionally made blade.

J.

So, I dont want to start an argument or denounce your blade by any means, I'm more of the blunt type.

Most of us are on the long journey of studying traditionally made nihonto so - great place to start, no doubt.

About the blade - The habaki is another give away - definitely not Japanese either.. while suguha hamon is not that appealing to most, it is my personal favorite. Depending on the era and the Smith there are lots of amazing 'activities' that can be seen so the example below is a shigekuni blade that I  'borrowed' from the guys at the sword museum. I hope they aren't mad at me as I'm showing the photo only for informational purposes 😬

Check this out - hada and hamon and then compare with yours ..

The hada changes and the hamon does appear more complex as they progress towards the tip. Yours is way too uniform from any perspective - too perfect for handmade.

Keep in mind that the late reproductions are becoming harder and harder to recognize so having a professional look at it would be the best I could suggest but my feeling is - a copy. With that said I'm only making a suggestion of what I see so far from the photos you've provided. Cheers.

Respectfully

J

21042-4.jpg

I see what you mean. Also I shouldve mentioned that the whole blade was refitted by an sbg forum member, so that explains the habaki. Only the tsuba and kojiri are antique. Thank you for the lengthy explanation though. Also I didn't get it expecting that it was a legit nihonto

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..