Help reading this flee market thing:)

Lykta

This short tanto? blade catched my eye at a flee market a while ago, I know close to nothing about Japanese blades but it's a fine sturdy blade so I was thinking of trying to make a grip. I am pretty sure it is a Chinese newly made thing so me tinkering a bit won't matter. But better safe then sorry so just asking what it says. Thanks! /Lars

IMG_20220525_203831250.jpg

IMG_20220525_204839547.jpg

IMG_20220525_204037159.jpg

Looks like the very much abused remnants of a wakizashi. The geometry is all wrong for the boshi (the tip), so it was likely broken and reformed into what you see now. That being said, its not worth the effort and if you want a complete Japanese blade for a collection then you can do better. I'd save your money and wait for something better!

I can't say as to what the kanji means but it is crudely inscribed and probably is nonsense.

• Like 1

Thanks! I did buy it was just 20 euro and it's a nice blade even if new/copy. I do like the idea that it's made from a longer blade as it is very thick and heavy, also make sense of the extremely off-center peg hole. Seems it be fine if I temper a bit further with it, I want to try make a grip. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..