Translation of markings on WWII era katana

eraaij

Hello, 

Nice to meet you - I am very pleased to have found this forum and would kindly request your assistance on identifying the markings on this blade.

Some background: This sword -or the remains thereof- has been in my possession for a long time. I salvaged this about 30 years ago from neglected storage from a family member. Only the blade and leather scabbard remain.. It belonged to my grandfather who was in the Dutch military. He brought it home when he returned from Indonesia around 1948.

Many thanks i.a. 

-Emile 

signs2.thumb.jpg.a9c4f526bcc257352b3e20d52a207f15.jpgsigns.thumb.jpg.393836b129080f5ca26769cc2d1fafed.jpgsigns_rotated.thumb.jpg.50cb00218e6046e9843a5439c7b6845c.jpgsigns2_rotated.thumb.jpg.19318e0c316d7af339b2f048f4f9e8af.jpg

• Like 2

Yasumitsu

I think the full date reads

First 2 kanji = Showa (starts 1926)

3rd & 4th kanji = 10 + 4 = 14 (14th year of the Showa period = 1939)

5th kanji = Nen (year)

6th kanji  = 1

7th kanji = Gattsu (month)

8th kanji = Kichi (Lucky)

9th kanji = Hi (day)

So it would read: " A lucky day in January, 1939"

I believe he might be a Yasukuni smith?  There are many here who will be able to help out much more.

• Thanks 1

It does appear to be the Yasukuni shrine smith Yasumitsu. Nice find and likely deserves a professional restoration if there are no serious issues with the blade. Looks a bit like the nakago (tang) has been cleaned. If so, don't do anything further to clean the nakago or remove rust on your own.

• Thanks 1

Hi, 

Many thanks all, really appreciated and I have some reading up to do. Never realized that it might be worthwhile. I will take some further pictures of the blade and scabbard by decent daylight tomorrow and post them here. 

Best, 

-Emile 

As promised, here some quick shots of blade and scabbard. Given the dating on blade, I am surprised that this one has a simple leather scabbard, since that was done mostly at the end of the war?

Some pitting, discoloration and nicks. Would this still be a restoration candidate for a polisher/blade smith or leave as-is? 

Best, 

-Emile 

IMG-1159.jpg

IMG-1154.jpg

IMG-1156.jpg

IMG-1155.jpg

1 hour ago, eraaij said:

Some pitting, discoloration and nicks. Would this still be a restoration candidate for a polisher/blade smith or leave as-is? 

If minor, then a qualified polisher can usually address those problems with no issue.  But until you get it into qualified hands, it's tough to give a definitive answer by pictures.  I am concerned a bit about the condition of the kissaki area.  It "looks" like some extensive rust has been removed by someone, the geometry of the blade in that area looks "off", lines have been rounded off vs other parts of blade, and I'm not sure how much is left to re-shape to be correct (all based on pics that are tough to see or may just be some issues with reflections, etc.).  I would also suggest a bit more research as the article does state that sometimes students signed the Yasumitsu name on their blades.

• Thanks 1

The leather covered wooden scabbards (saya) are seen throughout the war.  They were "informal fittings".  Leather over the metal saya is called "combat leather cover," (thanks again @BANGBANGSAN!)  So, I imagine some guys would prefer these in the field, though we see plenty of pictures of officers in the field with the standard all-metal fittings uncovered.  Like everything else, stuff like this was a personal option.  Some chose it, others didn't.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again - I will see who I can contact here in The Netherlands or nearby to get it technically evaluated. Would be great to restore the blade at least as a starter.

Best, 

-Emile 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..