Newbie questions about a TOROKUSHO.

I just received a sword from someone in Hawaii. He's a Marine and said he got the sword years ago in a Sword Shop in Japan. He only sent the TOROKUSHO as far as paperwork goes. That's all he had. My question is obviously what the translation is but also, can you tell how long ago the sword was registered for export? Maybe by the registration number? He didn't define "years ago" and I hate to ask. I asked him so many questions already. Here's a picture of the registration... Thanks in advance!

registration.jpg

6 hours ago, Gakusee said:

Just one small correction: registered internally in Japan. Not for export. The export process is different 

So what does that mean? I'm under the assumption that the PO bought it during Military Service in 1965 since he said he bought it "years ago" and I know he was a Marine. Does that follow? Could he have bought with this paperwork and brought it home with him?

John, there is information in the link I shared above but this date is when the owner in Japan had the sword registered. This may have been a collector, owner or dealer in Japan with no connection to the individual you bought it from. It may have had one or more owners between the time it was registered and the time it was sold in a shop in Japan. Torokusho is supposed to be turned in when the sword is exported, which is also discussed in that link on the export process.  

The Torokusho is handed in, and an export permit (Kobijutsuhin-yushutsu-kansa-shomei 古美術品輸出鑑査証明) is issued in return.

• Like 1

The torokusho is a certificate for circulation of the sword inside Japan. It is not permitted for it to even be outside of Japan. On export, it is surrendered and an export permit issued to the purchaser who wants to export it. 

You cannot rely much on the torokusho. It only means the sword was once in Japan and it is a genuine Nihonto (as fakes or gunto or foreign swords do not get a torokusho) which was allowed to exist in Japan. If not, ie without torokusho, the sword would be confiscated and/or destroyed. 

Please do make an effort to read the page Ray linked above. I know it is heavy and technical but is very useful. 

It is highly unlikely that the Marine had the sword issued with a torokusho initially. These people (who applies for torokusho) were the families, descendants of samurai or collectors, dealers etc - ie Japanese,  in whose ownership and custody the blades were when the registration process kicked in in Showa 26. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..