Gassan Sadakatsu Translation

Bryce

G'day Guys

This sword was forged by Gassan Sadakatsu for Mr Morita Ryutaro in 1943. What I am struggling with is does the wording suggest it was simply made for him, or was it made to protect him in some way?

Cheers,

Bryce

1943 mei.jpg

That... is a very pretty signature.

I have a lot of respect for Sadakatsu work and have seen a fair number of his signatures, but that one is particularly nice penmanship in iron.

Give me a writing brush and 5 years, and I don't think I could pull that off with ink. Certainly not in iron.

Sounds like an interesting blade, just from the signature alone.

Sadakatsu's last year of life too, so I romanticize it a bit and think this was one last burst of effort for the artist.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys,

All privately commissioned Gassan Sadakatsu blades I have seen to date have this same wording. I don't know if other swordsmiths used this wording as well or if it was something peculiar to Sadakatsu. Interestingly, just as you see the original owner's name removed from origami, you also see examples of Sadakatsu blades where the owner's name has been removed from the nakago as well.

Gassan Sadakatsu was very consistent in the way he signed. You can see gradual changes from examples in the 1920's thru to 1943. I agree Curran, one of the things I enjoy about his blades are his penmanship on the nakago.

Here is the whole sword.

Cheers,

Bryce

1943 small.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..