set of Seiryuken Eiju tsuba. Thoughts?

obiwanknabbe

Hey everyone! Ive been out of the collecting phase for a bit but was in one of those antique malls and spotted these sitting in a case of random Asian items. Nice Iron Dai Sho set with a small gold inlay on the Mei. Im pretty sure these are both signed Seiryuken Eiju in sosho script though i think (just a hunch) that there may be more that one smiths hand at work between the 2 of them. Smaller seems.... tighter.. for lack of a better work. Both are in fantastic condition. No dings or scratches. Definitely not cast. . Tiny bit of surface rust on the larger one near the Mei.  Anyone have some thoughts about these.
Thanks in advance!

DSCN1013_crop.jpg

DSCN1014_crop.jpg

DSCN1018_crop.jpg

• Like 1

Kurt nice 'set' I think you are correct, they look made by two different people, the punches used are slightly different in shape and size. Signatures are also not identical and even the seal is slightly off. Nonetheless they look in great condition and are without doubt hand made.

I have three of these [though still waiting on two on a very slow boat from Japan] and have collected over a dozen images of similar pieces. There are a number of different designed seals so at least yours are from the one group. I don't have any evidence, but I suspect the design was popular and from the numbers evident there must have been a production line of apprentices doing the bulk of the work, with a Master overseeing the quality. 

You now just need to find a matching Tanto size guard to have a Tri-sho [made up word] A small mystery but I have also found a number of these guards with the mei partly erased? Not up to the Masters standard? - You might note two of the tanto size have the same seal as your set, the other has worn off or been erased.

signed shippo 20-12-2021 comparison.jpg

Edited by Spartancrest
better link
  • Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..