Identifying an old sword left to me

I'm sorry for your loss. I can't tell you much, but the sword could be gimei (false signature). I believe it may be gimei due to the flower overflowing off the nakago, or it may have been shortened at some point. Others will tell you more. Is there a signature on the other side?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The kikumon appears good at a glance, further and clearer photos could confirm my take. I think the loss of Machi okuri could have contributed for the partial loss of the kikumon or the accommodation of the blade for a new tsuka could also be a factor in the case. You have over 80% loss of the Nakago so it was probably mounted as uchi gatana so someone 'shaved off' the nakago at the edge side.. just guesses

Please read about

how to take care of old Japanese blade before you do anything with it but don't try to clean anything! There's a lot of information in the forum so take the time and just follow the basic guidelines is my suggestion. 

J.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree….that kikumon looks very well cut and agree it looks like fumbari is present. However I think the section of the blade where the light is reflecting off it looks like the Ha has been heavily reworked (maybe to remove chips) and thus it looks like fumbari??? Of course it could be trick of photography/light.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dear Jacob.

Just in case this all means very little to you.  The kiku mon is the chrysanthemum carved on the tang.  This is used by several smiths in the Edo period r around 1600 to 1700 and others.  It is usually carved at the top of the tang followed by the name of the smith, the position of yours suggests that the tang has been shortened, removing the signature.  This is not uncommon though less desireable.  The tang appears also to have hade the edges modified making the kiku mon look crowded.

Fumbari is a term that means a narrowing of the blades wifdth just above the end of the tang.  It shouldn't be visible at this point if the tang has been shortened, hence Colin's suggestion that the blade maY have had some metal removed from the edge about half way up.

All OK so far?

More pictures please.

All the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How long is the cutting edge?

Not saying this sword is very valuable but it could have potential if a togishi did a window and if the sword could be more or less identified to a certain smith, thus making restoration financially viable. Those are two very big IF's.

My limited knowledge says the Mishina school but that's only because I'm biased :)

Kudos to the fumbari takers. Clearly it has an adjusted nakago for various reasons..

p.s. and the mekugi Ana location, not to mention kissaki shape make me feel mishina school.. 

Just guesses 😁

J.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..