SHOW US YOUR GUNTO HORIMONO

The lovely sword with horimono posted by Colin H, triggered a thread that I have been meaning to kick off for a while. It is my personal opinion that a WW2 Gunto with a horimono is (again in my opinion) one of the "Holy Grails" of military sword collecting. 

I will start with a few of mine, all by the same swordsmith KANETOKI who then changed his name to KANEMICHI. These are all WW2 period blades, that show horimono, Bonji and Kanji.  

I would hope that others could contribute to this thread, as I think it would add to our knowledge of the art.  

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

h5.jpg

h6.jpg

h7.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 2

papered rare long Tanto by Kotani Yasunori, signed " Geinan ju Kenzo Saku"  Showa sichi  nen Ni gatsu

this crisp detailed Horimono's style of dragon 

the overall style of the Dragon shows a delightful Umetada flavor with its twisted tail

chasing the pearl

20220521_090740.jpg

20220521_090711.jpg

20220108_140127.jpg

20220108_140429.jpg

20220108_140736.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/30/2022 at 8:44 AM, Michael 67 said:
Seikōsai Ichimonji kore o tsukuru (晴光斎一文字造之) - 
Yasuki-hagane sanmai-kitae (安来鋼三枚鍛) 

Michael,

Sorry to detract from this excellent topic, but could I get photos of the nakago/mei on this one?  I'm starting to make a record of smiths that used Yasuki/Yasugi steel.  And for give my ignorance, but is the smith "Ichimonji" or "Seikosai"?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
3 hours ago, Bruno said:

I would be interested to see examples of military stamped showato or star stamped gendaito with bohi

So far, the ones I saw were private orders non-stamped showato and gendaito.

Thanks

Hi Bruno,

I have no photos (although I would be able to pull out an oshigata of the nakago) but the very first Japanese sword I ever owned (over 40 years ago) was a 'Sho' stamped Showato signed "Kawamura Masanobu saku" which had bohi.

Simon 

• Like 2