Cane/sword looking for some info before I have it restored.

Bullvyde603

My name's Wally and I am new to the forum. I just wanted a little advice and info on this cane with a hidden blade. I have had this for years and am deciding to have it restored. But before I do I wouldn't mind opinions and info on maker. Quality of the blade seems very good it is triangluer the blade is about 22" long maybe shorter I haven't pulled the pin in handle yet to check. There are maker marks I came up with Sanjo kokaji munechicka ? Can anyone confirm that ? The cane is 34 1/2" tall. The wood definitely needs repair just some glueing and refinishing. Blade just needs some minor clean up Thanks in 1851233914_IMG_20220518_111347063_HDR2.thumb.jpg.38a3ea165136a69aa329636b040fdb29.jpgadvance if anyone knows anything. Thank you. 

IMG_20220518_111237515_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20220518_111243228_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220518_111301108_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20220518_111306885_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20220518_111313799_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20220518_111321915_HDR~2.jpg

Hi Wally,

welcome on board the NMB!

What you have there is a SHIKOMIZUE in bad condition, and the signature is that of a very famous, very early swordsmith (born 987 in HEIAN era). As SHIKOMIZUE came up in MEIJI era (about 900 years later...), it is very unlikely that the signature is authentic. In addition to that, swords were signed on the tang, not on the blade. So I believe it is probably a tourist item made not earlier than the end of 19th century. 

Just another hint: A Japanese blade should NEVER be in contact with a hard ground or bare fingers!

The relevant pictures are upside-down, so a bit difficult to read.

Considering the market and artistic value of your weapon, I have my doubts that a professional restoration (done in Japan) makes sense. 

6 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

What you have there is a SHIKOMIZUE in bad condition, and the signature is that of a very famous, very early swordsmith (born 987 in HEIAN era). As SHIKOMIZUE came up in MEIJI era (about 900 years later...), it is very unlikely that the signature is authentic. In addition to that, swords were signed on the tang, not on the blade. So I believe it is probably a tourist item made not earlier than the end of 19th century. 

I beg to disagree with this statement.

The signature is Sanjyou Munechika(三条宗近). The 1st gen Sanjyou Munechika is a very famous swordsmith in Heian era. However, this name was used by countless swordsmith of Sanjyou school from Heian era to Meiji era.  Also, later gen Sanjyou Munechika did curve signature on the blade.

QQ截图20220518190241.jpg

QQ截图20220518190206.jpg

QQ截图20220518190149.jpg

QQ截图20220518190131.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info everyone. My only question is if these where sold as tourist items why haven't I come across anything even close to it ? I have had this for about 30 years and have research it through the years and have found absolutely nothing similar. You figure if these where for tourists you could find them easily. ? Again I do appreciate the information. 

4 hours ago, Bullvyde603 said:

...... My only question is if these were sold as tourist items why haven't I come across anything even close to it ? I have had this for about 30 years and have researched it through the years and have found absolutely nothing similar. You figure if these were for tourists you could find them easily? ..... 

Walter,

many were made for early Japan tourists at the end of the 19th century. It is possible that most of them were lost in the meantime. Nowadays, concealed weapons are prohibited in many states. In Germany, you are not allowed to import these items, so you cannot collect them. On YAHOO auctions, you can still find some from time to time.

36 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Have we established the majority of people don't ask before they leap? It's, "I found a treasure" and don't want to ask for fear of some else buying.  

Seems to happen weekly! 

So true. 

5 hours ago, Tensho said:

What do you consider "similar "? I have seen plenty of Shikomizue for sale over the years. 

Similar as in same cane same or similar blade with writing. Of course I have seen canes with hidden blades but none like this one. And I buy and sell antiques on the regular. Just weird I haven't seen any. But that's just me I'm sure someone has seen one or two that is why I asked. Thanks 

44 minutes ago, Bullvyde603 said:

Similar as in same cane same or similar blade with writing. Of course I have seen canes with hidden blades but none like this one. And I buy and sell antiques on the regular. Just weird I haven't seen any. But that's just me I'm sure someone has seen one or two that is why I asked. Thanks 

You should of bought the umbrella model. It's has that cool James Bond look.  

8 hours ago, Bullvyde603 said:

Thanks for the info everyone. My only question is if these where sold as tourist items why haven't I come across anything even close to it ? I have had this for about 30 years and have research it through the years and have found absolutely nothing similar. You figure if these where for tourists you could find them easily. ? Again I do appreciate the information. 

There's literally a Japanese film series focused around a blind swordsman who uses one. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zatoichi

My uncle had one somewhere in all his post WWII "stuff".

I am a rank amateur about Nihonto, but Zatoichi is one of the reasons I am attracted to Japanese blades.

As a reference, a good polish by a properly trained togishi runs about $125/inch. Not trying to deter you, but if you're doing this for financial gain then it won't be there. If its sentimental, then that's up to the polisher if they'll take the work.

13 hours ago, ChrisW said:

As a reference, a good polish by a properly trained togishi runs about $125/inch. Not trying to deter you, but if you're doing this for financial gain then it won't be there. If its sentimental, then that's up to the polisher if they'll take the work.

The thought process of an uneducated treasure hunter doesn't work like that. A "professional Togishi" won't take the job, but a hack polisher will. Thus, the revolving mistake and BIG story on ebay will evolve. Can't change the mind of the unwilling. For every 1 who seeks an answer for a mistake, there is 12 who won't. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..