Tsuba reading

Bugyotsuji

Recently this arrived forlorn and bereft of accompanying story.

Iron, 7.3 x 7.2 x 0.4 cm.

Thickness suggests not Ko-tōshō, but maybe Tōshō.(?)

And then I began weaving a story regarding the theme. I wonder if anyone arrives at the same thought as me… :idea:

PS There is no ‘correct’ answer as far as I know. :thumbsup:

AADC28DB-7200-4D44-A8F9-76DC86A51063.thumb.jpeg.408d58e05bbce60749d218820f65b7b1.jpeg

D0E01938-E6C5-4089-82C5-7F41ACB11E1C.thumb.jpeg.e6df832bbd1d2bd512c7880c9c9d81f4.jpeg

Nice spot on the oar! The kasa (straw) hat, yes.

Mecox has sailed close to what I was thinking, and Dale’s hat looks good. As to the samurai neckties, least said soonest mended.

So what story does that fit? And if so, how could that resolve the age difference between Ko-Tōshō and Tōshō? :thumbsup:

There’s a fine line between them, Barry. Shapewise they must overlap considerably, the difference being in the military function of the jingasa.

Interesting facts. The dome-headed rivets you find on Katchū armour (on the Mabisashi visor for example) are called Kasa-no-byo for their sombrero/umbrella/hat-shaped appearance. Also, wound scabs are called Kasa-buta or covering lids.

• Like 1

So…. it could be that I am way out there, and this is why no-one follows the same train of thought. Hmmm…

Since I would not enjoy posting my ‘answer’ and then seeing some clever Richard saying, “Yeah, that’s what I thought too!” thus defeating the whole point of the exercise, I’ll leave this hanging for a while longer… :popcorn:

• Like 1

Interpreting these tsuba gets a bit philosophical...and you need to ask the maker.  But for this one I would go with umbrella (kasa) which is a common design item with rain drops (kasa ni ame); and an oar or paddle (kai). So with an umbrella in a paddled boat, suggests a passenger, so maybe theme is "water taxi" , boatman and passenger in the rain.  Re the tsuba, rather small (7.3 cm) suggests small katana (or wakizashi), plus the tsuba looks rather crude and thick, so more like "Tosho" as opposed to "Ko-tosho".  The latter are earlier and Muromachi, even Kamakura, and are larger often 8.0-8.5 cm, basic but well made and designs neatly cut, and well forged iron.   So themes can be rather open.

• Like 1

Mal, many thanks for your input. Your mention of rain has rather poured on my parade, though. :laughing:

In my imagination was… Oar = Musashi, who carved an oar, and took advantage of the angle of the sun (suggesting open boat, nice weather, woven hat for shade) to better his opponent Sasaki Kojiro. 
Fitting story for a tsuba. But, if it is telling this story through Rusu-moyō, that means that the Tsuba has to be later than the fight on the island (1612).

• Wow 1

Bloody hell....well looks like 櫂Kai is the correct term for the tsuba design.  And the other term is the origin of the old Japanese song "ro, ro, ro your boat gently down the stream...." .  I'm getting ready for that glass!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, mecox said:

Bloody hell....well looks like 櫂Kai is the correct term for the tsuba design.  And the other term is the origin of the old Japanese song "ro, ro, ro your boat gently down the stream...." .  I'm getting ready for that glass!

🍷 cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2022 at 11:42 AM, mecox said:

..... its morning here, so my view tended not to be enhanced with the benefit of a few reds!  

I would on occasion wander into work with a colleague observing "You don't look your best Barry", to which I would reply "I've had an attack of empty bottle".

BaZZa.

• Haha 2

On 5/19/2022 at 2:21 AM, Bugyotsuji said:

Mal, many thanks for your input. Your mention of rain has rather poured on my parade, though. :laughing:

In my imagination was… Oar = Musashi, who carved an oar, and took advantage of the angle of the sun (suggesting open boat, nice weather, woven hat for shade) to better his opponent Sasaki Kojiro. 
Fitting story for a tsuba. But, if it is telling this story through Rusu-moyō, that means that the Tsuba has to be later than the fight on the island (1612).

Yeah, that’s what I thought too!

Spoiler

I had no idea what was being depicted.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Baka Gaijin said:

Try Shoki and the demon quelling Sword..........................................................

So, where is the Demon???  He's always somewhere, even if obliquely.

BaZZa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..