Interesting Kote-- any thoughts on age / maker?

sounderites

Just got these from Japan. The plates are made to look like bamboo. Beautifully made sparrows at the elbows. Now quite sure what is on the hands-- a mon? A burning oil lamp? Maybe someone knows the symbolism there...

Any thoughts on the symbolism, age, and maker would be much appreciated! Thank you

IMG_1001.jpeg

i-img850x663-1649050922gfn7cf232766.jpeg

IMG_1002.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

A nice pair, Julian!

I would place it to the mid/late Edo period.

Sparrow and bamboo (as hijigane in your case) are known themes for mon, but I couldn’t find an exact match at the moment. Tekkō and kanmuri ita are adorned with the flaming jewel motive (hōju). A Buddhist symbol to which one ascribed a wish fulfilling effect.

• Like 2

Thanks for the insights! 

Restoration wise, I was thinking of oiling with a tiny amount of Ian Bottomley's special 50/50 linseed oil & turpentine formula, wiping off, then allowing it to dry for 3 days.

How do we feel about having the silk professionally replaced-- acceptable like replacing odoshi or mortal sin?

• Like 1

Very nice. A little oil should be fine, but replacing the fabric sections will require a professional and the final result will not necessarily reflect the original. I would be interested to see the top of the uppermost plates, are they concave?

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..