tsuba info please

loiner1965

Well I can tell him that the second top one  [Taiko drum] has a similar one in the V&A [Victoria and Albert Museum UK.]  that one does not have the handle on the side. https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O462573/tsuba/ 

image.thumb.png.bad06ee1067f914ba3b1c0f3ef4db9e7.png

Also close to one of my pieces which has the handle and a drumstick on the opposite side - looking like a spout of a teapot.

Unfortunately I can't say what school or maker made it - nor can the V&A . But a wild guess going with the ten-zogan inlay it is possibly Shoami?

image.thumb.png.61ecce95a82e79cebc4768534b344787.png

Superb Japanese Vintage Drum TAIKO Handmade with Signed image 1

The left bottom one could be Soten or at least Hikone-bori. The bottom right is Hizen or Namban. I have not seen many Namban in that shape.

• Like 2

So does it mean another few hundred years will need to pas before these 4 can again again be considered worthy of consideration ?

And how best to store or handle them over this time or is there some alchemist out there who has some sort of formula to redeem this lot ?

Just wondering

Roger j

There are people who could/would repatinate. I think there are losses to mixed metals and details though.
But this isn't a job for an amateur. If it were me, I would ask Ford if there is anything the owner can do himself.
As for schools etc, the hints above are about all I can suggest.

• Thanks 1

Steve B., thanks very much for the alternate views - looks like only half the drum was 'cleaned' [I also call mine a teapot - even if it isn't :laughing:] but it has a slightly strange colour to it? Lost most of the ten-zogan and also looks like some of the carved wood grain is worn away bottom corner left [omote] - at least it has retained it's 'handle' which is more than can be said of the V&A example.

Different circumstances, but they are 'repairable'. Loss of patina is better than corrosion damage.

image.thumb.png.c47e456926fcbc8fa391e46e67496805.png

Chris - as usual, very nice!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..