Airline travel tips, how to prevent nihonto theft

I hope this was posted in the right section but I plan to be in the San Francisco sword show and plan on taking a locked case of swords to the shinsa.

I’m worried the case could get stolen by a thief. I’ve heard of many cases where checked baggage gets stolen. What can be done to dissuade that and would the insurance airlines offer do anything to lessen the likelihood of a loss? I’ve noticed if I insure a USPS package they’re far less likely to lose it. Maybe something like that could apply here?

Also does anyone know how viable Apple Tags are as an anti theft tool?

Thanks,

I used a hard case for golf. There is plenty of room. Air lines used to not charge for golf clubs. I'm not sure about now. Since they are oversize they tend to be put on last and come out first. They also have a different area for golf club pickup.

• Like 1

Or just mail them to your hotel room. Or a FedEx office location near. That's what I plan on doing at least. FedEx Office holds your package for 5 days.

I've read and heard about musical instruments and such looking cases weirdly go missing sometimes on any flights so . .. that'd be my choice

J.

• Like 1

I’m fond of the fedex idea but I’m not sure if there is a way for me to safely send multiple swords in one package. Or if I will just have to send each and everyone in a separate box.

The plan was to take one katana, one wakizashi and two tanto to the show. Obviously the swords safety is the top priority but since numerous fedex boxes can get pricey I’d like to know if there is any safe way to consolidate them to say two shipments rather than four.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..