Tanto, Yoroi-doshi (unmounted)

Matsunoki

Greetings again from the UK.  I hope you don’t get fed up with me posting my eclectic recent acquisitions!…but I’m enjoying being part of this forum greatly.

”in hand” this is a pleasing elegant Tanto blade of Yoroi-doshi proportions. However trying to image it has been, as usual, very tricky. It has a strange polish…..almost a milky finish….I hope it is not the dreaded acid?…..opinions welcome. The colour of the hada and hamon appear to be reversed!

No mountings at all….bare blade and habaki.

Nagasa 24.3 cm

Motohaba 9.1mm

Motokasane 2.46mm
Mei Kunihide saku. Koka3. 1846 I think.

solid silver habaki

It’s a bit of a wild hamon, perhaps gunomechojimidare…..I’ll just post loads of images and welcome your comments …..good or bad!

BIG QUESTION IS…can you please tell me which Kunihide?

Many thanks in advance.

best wishes

Colin

DCCED2DB-242C-4594-A855-C688519FA2F0.jpeg

6C01BBE0-B460-41CC-A082-B7F57B6FFBE3.jpeg

CC26E004-9863-4AE9-8EDF-2CB3509AE983.jpeg

239070D1-8932-48AA-B552-E1423D24A87A.jpeg

F3CE8205-532E-4549-82D1-A088B125C6C3.jpeg

766A1369-8D53-4C79-93F7-D7B0792237B3.jpeg

ECB873C2-3EE8-474F-82AF-C34ED1BC53CB.jpeg

FDB584DF-7231-4C3B-987E-3E9F9CB52B79.jpeg

FBF15DB6-AB45-4521-B717-7774E99366DA.jpeg

EF1E4B04-7D81-4B16-A70B-5978B9648CFD.jpeg

Colin, one thing to note is although ‘Kunihide’ [国秀] is a fairly common name, the mei on your tanto is signed with 圀, which is an unusual character for Kuni. I believe this to be the work of Enryūshi Kunihide [円龍子圀秀], who resided in Kōzuke, Annaka [上州安中] (modern day Gunma prefecture), and was trained by Nakayama Ikkansai Yoshihiro” (中山一貫斎義弘), who worked in the Norishige style.
Here is another example of Kunihide’s work -  https://www.nipponto.co.jp/swords4/KY328889.htm
The one in the link is dated three years after yours, also displays the same pronounced hada, and is listed as an utsushi of Norishige.

7BCCAA59-5ABF-422A-ACAD-EB1947335CC3.jpeg

• Like 4

My apologies, I always seem to confuse these terms. Old age!

motohaba 2.45cm

motokasane 9.1mm

11 minutes ago, Jean said:

Yoroi-doshi  ??????

moto kasane: 2,45 mm

moto haba: 9,1 mm

I hope that makes a bit more sense!

Colin

• Haha 1

Hi Colin , I have a katana by this man. It is signed Soshu Kamakura ju Kunihide saku and is dated 1853 . It  is a terrific piece which , like yours ,has masses of sunagashi running through it . I don't think that I have ever handled a blade with more sunagashi . Enjoy your piece.

Ian Brooks

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ian B3HR2UH said:

Hi Colin , I have a katana by this man. It is signed Soshu Kamakura ju Kunihide saku and is dated 1853 . It  is a terrific piece which , like yours ,has masses of sunagashi running through it . I don't think that I have ever handled a blade with more sunagashi . Enjoy your piece.

Ian Brooks

Hi Ian, thanks for your reply. Your katana sounds impressive. My images and the current polish don’t show my Tanto that well…..in your hands it’s alive with activity…as you say loaded with sunagashi etc Also the hamon looks “on fire”. Between us we could put together a great “Daimyo daisho” 🙂. Obviously a talented smith but only modestly rated……I wonder why? ……as usual it’s a matter of opinion and personal taste I guess. I really like this small blade.

All the best. Colin

Basically, Kyle has already written everything with the reference that Ikkansai Yoshihiro was a teacher of this Kunihide.

If one sees such a Hamon torn by an aggressive Hada, must go actually immediately the alarm bells that here influence of Ikkansai Yoshihiro is present. He had developed a forging technique whose result is almost reminiscent of modern damascus, in order to come as close as possible to the appearance of Norishige blades.
This effect is also sometimes seen in Kawaii Hisayuki, who also learned from Yoshihiro, only that Hisayuki forged the Hada more densely, so that the effect appears much more subtle.
With Yoshihiro's work, I sometimes don't know whether to rejoice or cry. Some blades look quite spectacular, others just awful. A good example is the other linked blade by Kunihide: it's pretty special...okay, whoever likes it...

5 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

This would be incredible with fresh Sashikomi polish.

Hi John, I agree totally. If only we had a few more togishi etc in the UK. I am on the waiting list for  (the only) one that has an excellent reputation. Just hope I’m still alive when I reach the top of his list. Very frustrating!! I could keep a polisher  going for a few years on my own. Thanks for looking and commenting. Good to hear from you. All the best. Colin

Well, there are polishers in France and Italy who have submitted pieces to the NBTHK and received various certificates of merit from that organisation. The usual caveats apply. They are not 100% fully apprenticed in Japan, or underwent their training solely in Japan at a togishi’s house etc, but frankly the same applies to the polishers in the U.K.  One needs to know what they are doing when submitting a blade to polish, as the best course of action most of the time is submission to Japan. 

1 hour ago, Gakusee said:

Well, there are polishers in France and Italy who have submitted pieces to the NBTHK and received various certificates of merit from that organisation. The usual caveats apply. They are not 100% fully apprenticed in Japan, or underwent their training solely in Japan at a togishi’s house etc, but frankly the same applies to the polishers in the U.K.  One needs to know what they are doing when submitting a blade to polish, as the best course of action most of the time is submission to Japan. 

Thanks Michael, trouble is I’m too worried to send swords anywhere at the moment……let alone abroad. Maybe I am being too cautious but there seems to be a hell of a lot of problems both with carriers (uk and international) and our own border force. I’ve had a katana that was superbly packed and sent from the uk arrive opened, played with and the kissaki chipped. A friend has recently had swords that he bought abroad returned to the country of origin by our wonderful Border Force public servants. If a UK carrier knows it’s a sword they will refuse it…..and/or not pay out under their insurance if damaged. People on this forum have had swords confiscated…..it goes on and on and it’s getting worse.  I think I’ll settle for the pleasure of ownership “as is” and avoid the worry. Plus of course there is no EMS from Japan thanks to Putin. Hey Ho…..it won’t stop me buying though!

all the best

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..