Looking for info on this type of koshirae

ribendao

Bought this cheapo wakizashi online because I thought it looked interesting. I have seen this type of "broken pottery" design on a yari pole before but have no idea what it is called or how to research it further. 

The fuchi and throat of the saya are simple brass. Which seems impracticle because it dulls the blade when it is pulled out. The tsuba seems like it was cast and is also brass. It does have a nice two-piece habaki. I also found a piece of rolled up paper underneath the ito wrap. There are still more pieces I have not taken out. Can I assume it was just used as a spacer when it was being wrapped?

Would like to get more info about it if anyone knows.

Thank you

image4 (74).jpeg

image3 (92).jpeg

image2 - 2022-05-09T072214.004.jpeg

image0 (21).jpeg

image1 - 2022-05-09T072212.311.jpeg

Thanks Brian. Looks like you are right. It is really nice looking. Its a shame the brass doesn't look great. Kind of detracts from the ablone shell lacquered saya. 

Seems like this style is somewhat rare. Not really finding any similar looking examples online. 

Thanks Jean Raden is the word I was looking for. Found many more examples now. 
I had a feeling this was a tourist/export piece. It came with a mumei wakizashi that looks shinshinto. Looks half decent if it wasn't for the rust...

Hi Jonathan.

Thank you for the images, it's a nice habaki.  Don't be too quick to dismiss the tsuba, it might, as you suggest, just be a cheap casting, it's hard to tell underneath all the crud.  However it is in the Namban style and might be more interesting. Soft metal Namban are rare.  Perhaps some hot soapy water and a soft brush might help to reveal detail.

If you don't already know it see ere for some more information, https://www.shibuiswords.com/Asian Sword Guards.html

Whatever it turns out to be enjoy your sword.

All the best.

10 hours ago, ribendao said:

Post soap and hot water:

Cheap cast or nanban worthy of further study?

Considering a lot of 'good' nanban was cast and then worked on - I think yours is worthy of further study. There is no tagane-ato marks, how tight does the tsuba fit the nakago? Some edge shots, side on would help or side views of nakago-ana and hitsu to see any casting seams but on soft 'brass' these are easily filed smooth so these may not be evident. [Soap and water have improved the look a lot :thumbsup:]

• Like 1

As expected, it is a cast brass TSUBA, and it is well made. The SEPPA-DAI appears to have a silver 'wash', so I think it is not a cheap copy. 

If it were mine, I would abstain from further restoration or cleaning attempts.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..