Real or fabrication

Interesting piece, Tom! Thanks for posting!

I has kikusi on a seppa!  I've seen them on habaki, which this has also, and fuchi, but this is the first time I've seen it on a seppa.  Also interesting is the 1-piece fuchi/seppa.  There must have been a shop working navy, or near the Toyokawa Arsenal, that made these.  I've seen a rare few on kaigunto, and then they are used in a big way on the post-war souvenir. 

Image 11 - Japanese WWll Naval sword in mountings, "Minatogawa Masanao", Kikusui, tassel281260501_KikusuionSeppa.thumb.jpg.b6873c3471bff26f13e952ca401f472e.jpg

^^^^^Seller is notorious for shill bidding. You will never get the items at a good price. I was watching an item in old polish that should have sold for half the price it went for. Was re-listed on a different account in the same state 2 weeks later with other swords the seller "sold" beforehand. 

Common sense will tell you that bidders with the same feedback score aren't going to bid on every single item of his. 

I had no idea about the shill bidding. I know he uses steel wool or something on the blades that have rust which is a big No No.. I got few blades from him. No complaints so far.

J.

• 4 weeks later...

Last year Showa22 outbidded me on a bare blade RJT gendaito that Komonjo had for sale.

Komonjo told me after, that Showa22 often "scretly" buy him blades under several different accounts names to re-sale them after and make profit. (Different names but same shipping address so not hard to guess)

Indeed. Less than 10 days after, the not anymore "bare blade RJT gendaito" was for sale at Showa22's, fully re-mounted in random Type 98 koshirae, blade fully horribly cleaned so was the freshly rubbed nakago. :steamed:

To be honest, it was an average RJT blade by an unrecorded RJT Seki smith KANEUE. I was sad not because I lost the auction but because I could not save this one.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..