I am spending a bit of time in Japan, I spent some money on a Katana and was wondering if anybody might know how old it is.

deformedcoffee

Here is a photo of the sword in it's Saya, as far as I know the nakago isn't inscribed though I have been too shy to take the tsuka off myself. I'm just scared of ruining the pin. I can get more detailed photos after work tonight if it's needed. I'm just curious if it's a mass produced katana, recent build, or maybe older? I'm not great at reading Japanese but I couldn't find anything to do with a date on its certification. It is certified in Osaka. Just curious is all, I don't expect it to be worth a whole lot.

received_2015668385286815.jpeg

The presence of a tōrokusho (registration paper), which is attached to the saya, indicates that this is a real sword. These papers are issued by experienced members of a nihonto organisation who assess the sword and make a record of it before issuing a registration paper. Although the tōrokusho states that the blade is ‘mumei’ [無名] (unsigned), it is still possible to learn about the sword from seeing the nakago. The pin should push out with no problem. Once you have removed the koshirae, take clear photos of the full profile of the blade, nakago, kissaki, and try to show the hamon and hada if possible too. With such photos the members here should be able to provide you with more information on what you have. 

Ps. This also should have been posted in ‘nihonto’. The ‘tosogu’ topic is for sword fittings such as tsuba, menuki, fuchigashira etc 

I am also new to Nihonto, and I respect your struggle to learn more about your particular blade. 

There is a skill to photographing blades so someone can "kantei" (study/evaluate) your blade. The first photograph of the nakago was helpful, but the rest are of relatively less important aspects.

Here's a thread with lots of good pictures you could use to model as examples.

You want to get as close to the blade as possible, especially both sides of the tip. You want to find angles where you can see as much of the detail of the blade as possible without reflections blinding the camera.

It would also be helpful if you could take everything off the blade. It's important to note that the naked blade is the real sword, the Koshirae is just what it comes dressed in. Blades routinely had new Koshirae put on when they were periodically polished, so they don't say anything about the age of the sword.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_sword_mountings#:~:text=Koshirae (拵え) refers to the,in when not being used.

• Like 2

Dear Phil.

Well if that is your first sword you did well.  Personally I rather like the severe koshirae, the mounts.  Kirill's description of it as a stick references the very straight blade with pronounced taper and rather small kissaki or tip.  This does tend to indicate a Kanbun Shinto blade, one that was made around 1660.  The shape also recurs during the Shinshinto period as Jeremy suggested, the nakago patination and the presence of two mekugi holes tends to add to the Kanbun Shinto call.

A lot of collectors would pass this by because it's unsigned Shinto but I think you did well with this one.  Enjoy!

Welcome to the endlessly complicated world of Japanese swords! 

All the best. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..