Shinogi lower on one side?

Hi all!

Just wondering, in regards to geometry, have you ever seen a blade with the Shinogi visibly lower on one side than the other?  I would think this might affect cutting dynamics ie pull to one side or the other?  I always thought the symmetrical cross-sectional geometry is part of the magic right? BTW this is not on an intentionally asymmetrical blade, rather one made for standard cutting practice etc.  

By the way this is not in regards to the well made nihonto I posted about a few weeks ago, which I'm sure has perfect symmetry.  This is something I purchased for cutting mats etc. as I would never dare attempt to cut with the antique, real blade.  Perhaps sometime in the long distant future, after a professional polish and 1000s of hours of practice on my behalf.  Anyhow, I guess this was a silly question as I assume properly shaped katana blade should always be perfectly symmetrical?

Sorry perhaps I have committed a faux pa by asking about this (a)symmetry.  If so perhaps someone might PM and let me know, I am new here and may have missed something.  Thanks all.  I do appreciate the members here and the wealth of experience etc.  Aloha

R.,

is this an authentic Japanese blade or a Chinese copy?

Asymmetrical cross-section can be the result of amateur attemps to repair a blade when a FUKURE or big KITAE WARE show up. I have seen this several times.

• Thanks 1

NOT an authentic, and yes it is a modern functional replica.  Hope I didn't alarm anyone. Just want to learn as much as I can before touching or thinking about the real one I have access to etc.  I am an amateur in this study, having spent all my life learning the art of guitars, performing, recording and just now branching out to the next coolest thing on Earth which is the subject of this forum.

Thanks all

R.,

this is a Japanese sword forum where we/you can learn a lot, but you won't learn anything from a 'functional replica', as you have just experienced. Start with reading here and buying books, going to sword shows and museums. If a sword club is near you, that might be the best way to start!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 11:37 AM, ROKUJURO said:

R.,

this is a Japanese sword forum where we/you can learn a lot, but you won't learn anything from a 'functional replica', as you have just experienced. Start with reading here and buying books, going to sword shows and museums. If a sword club is near you, that might be the best way to start!

Thanks Jean, I have already learned a bit, and a million tons to go. I have certainly learned that most modern replicas are nothing like the real thing.  Thanks again all and despite this being a question you've answered a zillion times, what would be a good first book to acquire?  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..