Strange type 32

ribendao

Ah geez Bruce. As curious as I am, it is so well put together that I don’t trust myself to reassembled it to how it is now. 

I suspect it is some sort of European blade. I compared it to my type 32 Ko and it is a completely different blade construction.

I think the defining characteristic of the blade is the ridge line. It seems to originate from the spine of the blade instead of straight through the center.

• Like 1

Thanks Jonathan!  It's clear there is a threaded end of a nakago there.  The holes in the nuts, as well as the slot of the screw show a little boogering.  That leaves us at least 2 choices -1. Blade was factory made this way, but sword was disassembled by previous owners, or 2. Handle was disassembled in the field to remove original blade and insert current blade.   No way to know, but I'd lean toward choice 2.  I still don't see a G.I. creating and threaded nakago end like this, but I don't know European blades.  Maybe it's possible they had some with such nakago ends.

• Like 1

Interesting find Ribendao, could you show a picture of the whole sword with scabbard please?

(Or at least a few of the scabbard)

Dave, very good point, there would have been quite a few spare!

On 5/1/2022 at 2:45 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

No way to know, but I'd lean toward choice 2.  I still don't see a G.I. creating and threaded nakago end like this, but I don't know European blades.  Maybe it's possible they had some with such nakago ends.

Many late 19th early 20th cent. German sabres and bayonets used this type of nut. Pics of a Blucher Sable in my collection, before it was repaired. 

P12-07-15_15.03[1].jpg

P12-07-15_15.04.jpg

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..