Kanenobu gendaito

Leen

This morning I visited a man, whose father brought back this sword from Indonesia after WW2.

There is lots of study to do and its hard to see the hamon, because the blade has lots of tiny scratches. I really like this one nonetheless. I do however wonder what the character(s) on the nakago mune mean.

Kanenobu nakago mune.jpg

kanenobu mei.jpg

kanenobu nengo.jpg

kanenobu in koshirae.jpg

kanenobu sword.jpg

kanenobu tsuka.jpg

• Like 1

There could be a second inspection mark on the nakago mune above the ホ under the grime or rust.  If so, it would probably be a 名 for Nagoya Arsenal.

Christian, this is what I see 昭和十七年仲春 for the date.

• Like 2

@Leen, The last character on the date is "Spring", so it was "Spring 1942".  Kanenobu became an RJT smith, likely after this blade was made (from lack of star-stamp).  The program had only just begun at this time, so he must have gotten qualified sometime later.  You will often see inspection stamps on the mune, like this, on star-stamped gendaito, so it does not mean the blade is non-traditional.  Your small stamp above the "HO" in the corrosion does look like a "Na", like Thomas said.  I have a few other gendaito with this combination on file, all between 1940 - 1942.  They seem to stop after '42.

@Bruno - I don't think I have your Mitsunobu on file, can I get a photo of the date and full mei, please? The small stamp on the mune is a Seki stamp, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also love your work on stamps Bruce, furthermore I am convinced my Kanenobu is a traditional blade. It is Impossible to see from these pictures but it has an abundance of nie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..