Copper type 95 sword knot: Real or replica?

pt1093

Like all things we collect, the best way to know how to spot a fake is to study the real thing enough that the fake characteristics stand out when you see them.

There are other guys who are more qualified to touch on this for you, but here's an easy one - look at the age of the leather.  Fakes are almost always new leather, while the real ones clearly have age. 

Fake

2.thumb.jpg.cded7321663d391b14b4412656574e31.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.769217e2f15d0c9c94abfa708551d6b3.jpg1.thumb.jpg.c7b4a09c6a2046529ac6b590d0f28930.jpg

Real

IMG_0309.JPG.742d330d99b679c49b6a8e46fc12dbea.JPGIMG_0310.JPG.510dba8c4e4a3a98f499181aee8fa63d.JPGIMG_0311.JPG.cf5f14e310bce0372b174da2da20ee44.JPG

Interestingly, quite often on ebay, the sellers actually say "Replica" or "Copy" in the ad.  They are almost always from China.

Jesse, see attached.  It was slightly altered for combat I am guessing due to the extra screw

Bruce, I was actually looking at the one currently on Ebay.  It looks lighter than most examples I have seen, but also shows some wear.  The green kanji writing on the inside has me wondering.

Paul

DSC_4267.JPG

DSC_4268.JPG

DSC_4269.JPG

• Like 1

I’m of the opinion that the company grade tassel, already attached may be original to the sword.

With the shortage of sword supply in 1938, the IJA introduced the type95 rental program for officers.

This program enabled officers to rent a type95, until the back orders of type 98 were filled and supply returned to normal.

The option to buy the type95 outright instead of waiting for a type98 was also offered.

The tassel shown is quite long and fits well, also appears to have been there for some time.

What is the actual length?

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Stegel said:

I’m of the opinion that the company grade tassel, already attached may be original to the sword.

With the shortage of sword supply in 1938, the IJA introduced the type95 rental program for officers.

This program enabled officers to rent a type95, until the back orders of type 98 were filled and supply returned to normal.

The option to buy the type95 outright instead of waiting for a type98 was also offered.

The tassel shown is quite long and fits well, also appears to have been there for some time.

What is the actual length?

The length is 20.5" looped to the tsuba.  Alas, I bought this tassel a few years ago at a gun show.  It does compliment the sword well and you are correct about the rental program.  I did not realize it was due to lack of supply.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..