Tsuba for your consideration

Brian

Been a looooooong time since I bought anything. Recently 3 tsuba appeared on a local online auction site. I advised for what I thought was the best on (the Bushu tsuba recently posted) to a local collector acquaintance, and I think he got a bargain. The other 2 were just so-so.
However another popped up a few days ago, and I really liked the look.
Since it was under $100 shipped, I took a chance and received it today. Must say, I really like it. Nice dark iron with delicate sukashi. I think the colour is good too. I haven't given it light tlc yet, but will do so.
Anyways, I thought the punch marks to be fairly distinct and wondered if they are any kantei point, or are they just random. Maybe @Curran has an idea or anyone else?
Geese over grasses. I am suspecting this to be a plains of Musashi theme possibly. Size is 70 x 73mm.
Anyways, comments welcome. Thanks as always

IMG_7933.JPG

IMG_7934.JPG

IMG_7935.JPG

IMG_7936.JPG

IMG_7937.JPG

IMG_7939.JPG

• Like 4

Probably you won't find TEKKOTSU on a MIGAKI surface. It has a strong AKASAKA touch for me, so look into the SUKASHI openings top see if it is a SAN-MAI construction TSUBA (not soft metal SAN-MAI of course!

Rubbing it with a dry cotton rag for a while will clean the surface. The TAGANE marks are a bit rough (or even brutal) in my opinion.

A nice one for me too!

• Thanks 1

Well Brian for $100 - you got a great piece! Anything really worth while these days are much more expensive - I keep saying even Chinese fakes are more expensive than that. 

I see it had been fitted at one time with sekigane, now gone, so to my mind it says it has been mounted at least twice - might help explain the heavy tagane both sides.

• Like 1

Thanks Curran, I was hoping for Akasaka. I'll post more dimensions tonight. Can't really see 3 layer construction, but there is some evidence of a fold or something. Will try picture it, maybe imagining it.
Love the feel in hand.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Marco said:

@Curran @Brian I didn’t know about this “3 layers”  “kantei point”. Are the 3 layers a distinctive sign of all the Akasaka tsuba? Certain generations only?

Thanks in advance

A fair number of the middle generations. Not some of the earliest guys, and not some of the later guys.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..