Ian McCollum (Forgotten Weapons) reviews the Type 95 on YouTube

RichardP

I just watched this presentation and was considering discussing it here on the NMB - only to find that Richard had acted with greater dispatch! Thank you Richard.

I think something new may be going on in Japanese sword collecting and as "collectors" we might/should watch it.

Basically, I think the great generation shift is happening in Nippon-to. The rules, strategies, and personnel that used to operate are becoming obsolete as new tastes, knowledge, and people are appearing. Publication of the Plimpton volume - and serious (!) consideration of non-com swords by a wider collector community really shows that there is a broader interest than there was years ago. These are swords that literally can't go back to Japan! As a "foreign interest" it will be interesting to see how it develops.

Likewise, international collecting of pre-modern Japanese blades used to be funded by the Japanese markets. As supplies and knowledge have tended to even out (there are fewer swords, MANY more books, and higher prices), it will be fun to see a world market evolve!

Peter

• Like 2

Agree with Peter. Hopefully a turn and some new blood.
I enjoyed the show. I often watch Forgotten Weapons, and think he did this one particularly well. Also sounds like he may be a beginner enthusiast and hang out with at least a few collectors.
He has my dream job. Nice to see he's involved in the book too. Thanks for sharing

• Thanks 1

Not bad for a rookie.  He did his homework and had a couple of "well-said" spots.  A brief moment perpetuating the "pilot sword" myth as he held his fingers up showing the size of a tanto (which actually would have been a pilot tanto, if that was what he was describing), but he also said these were "issued to pilots" which sounds like he's mind-melded the stories of a couple cases where flying unit commanders presented kamikaze knives to their pilots in a ceremony.

He used his own Type 95, and sounds like he might have gotten bit by the Gunto Bug, so overall nicely done.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the video. Got a bit of a twitch when he started on the crew-gunto myth... not sure I agree with a few other points either and a bit behind current knowledge... hopefully the book is well edited. God forbid there are 'Type 3' swords listed. That designation needs to die. 

It's good though to drum up more interest though in my favourite Japanese swords.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..