Very basic cleaning question

Hello people, 

A very basic question if you don't mind. The humidity inside my house is generally around %50- 55 so keeping my new blade in a very light oil seems like a good idea. I had a sword cleaning kit once but I lost the oiling cloth that came with it. I cleaned my blade with cotton pad/alcohol and wiped it a couple of times with kleenex. Then I applied bit of choji oil using a piece of white thick cotton tshirt piece. After that I used kleenex again to get rid of excess oil. But, after this, blade gets kinda cloudy..like I can see smudges around shinogi..What am I doing wrong? :)

Is it ok to use cotton tshirt patches to oil the blade? Can I also use kleenex to oil it? I can't seem to find a replacement of that piece of cloth came with sword care set..it used to be a thick/heavy cloth path but I don't know what material it was..it was good.

I also tried quality microfiber(same brand that I clean my Vinyl's with) to apply oil..it seems like it removes the oil while applying it if you know what I mean. Kleenex after, same cloudy look.

Also, do I have to clean my oiling cloth each time before using it? Because the old oil will stay on..

I know this is not exactly rocket science but being new and all, any tips/tricks will be much appreciated. I don't want to make mistakes which I'll regret later. Thank you in advance! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

I am a JSA student, so my method might not be the best, but I will throw my suggestion out there anyway.

Go to a fabric store, and buy some plain white flannel. I bought 1/4 yd, and I think it will last me forever.

Cheers,

Ryan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..