Umetada Shigeyoshi tsuba

Japan2112

Hello all,

I picked up this tsuba while at the Chicago Show last weekend. Can someone help me with the naming and meaning of the two nunome zogan characters on the omote?

I think that this is the Shichizaemon Tachibana Shigeyoshi working in Kyoto around Kanban (by the character  "ume") and not the one working later (around Genroku) in Edo. Can I obtain an opinion here as well? (Color is true in the full omote pic).

83 mm h x 82 mm w x 6 mm t (at rim) 206 grams

Thanks for looking and for any assistance.

Mark

Shigeyoshi omote.jpg

Shigeyoshi mei.jpg

Shigeyosh ura crisp.jpg

• Like 1

In The Japanese tōsō-kinkō Schools, Markus Sesko claims there were several artists who used this mei, and that Japanese sources differ on whether there were three or four different artists (2012: 93-94).

According to Fukushi Shigeo, there were four Shigeyoshi:
1. The first Myōshin Shigeyoshi (明真重義),
2. Umetada Shichizaemon Tachibana Shigeyoshi (埋忠七左衛門橘重義),
3. the 2nd gen. with the same name but a different signature,
4. Shigeyoshi who signed with the supplement „Akashi-jū“ (明石住), i.e. „resident of Akashi“ in Harima province.

Tōsō-kodōgu-kōza“ states there were three:
1. Hikojirō Shigeyoshi (彦次郎重義) who was active around Kanei in Kyōto 
2. a Kanbun-era Shichizaemon Shigeyoshi also from Kyōto 
3. and a Shichizaemon Shigeyoshi who worked around Genroku (1688-1704) in Edo.

185B4804-417C-4587-88A2-26905517A463.jpeg

• Like 5

Thomas and Kyle,

Thank you for your further research and assistance. It seems that the mei at the upper right may be a good match indeed. From further research the tsuba may be one from the Umetada Kyoto artists group, by its kanji "Ume"()and that the Chinese script of  kiri/to and hana/ka read together as toka spelling out "Paulownia Blossom" is also something I understand that was sometimes done in Kyoto. The Kano school style of landscape on the ura also supports a Kyoto attribution. 

Maybe Myoju's younger son (i.e. #2 in Fukushi Shigeo's line up that Kyle contributed) or at least his lineage - early Edo? (Kanbun or Enpo 1661-1681). Anyways, I am enjoying this tsuba even more with a better handle on the maker's possibilities.

Best Regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Nicely done Kyle. :thumbsup:

I learned a bit from that. I've several times encountered noteworthy Umetada Shigeyoshi tsuba and filed it away to eventually explore the name some day.

I figured there were at least 2 or 3, but didn't know there were that many.

• Love 1

Just wondering if the words 桐華 ‘paulownia flower’ might not refer obliquely to allegiance to the Hideyoshi lineage at a time when Tokugawa had become flavor of the month. (Avoiding portrayal of the now ‘hated’ Hideyoshi paulownia Mon.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..