Genuine fake junk

Word of warning, this joker just graduated from dumba** university with honors: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394043571623?hash=item5bbed3bda7:g:YF4AAOSwTOtiZEY1

"This piece is all original! NOT A REPRODUCTION!

Even though these Type 95 Shin Gunto's are machine made, they are of the highest quality, especially versions 1 & 2!!

There are multiple documented instances where a Japanese officer took their Katana and cut the barrel of a US machine gun in half! You can understand how this is possible after feeling how light yet strong these works of art are!"

s-l16002.thumb.jpg.bc1a7555a7a9c663bd0d2fb1bd4b900f.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.a149791c2b18f94133b9ff888af140e9.jpg

• Wow 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

One of the guys was starting a document for that purpose.  Can't remember who that was.

Love the claim that someone had sliced a rifle barrel in two with a Type 95!  Maybe it was a Fake M-1!!!

I read it was a Nihonto and a 50cal. TV has done more bad than good .....Ninja. 

• Downvote 1

Yikes. This old piece of propaganda again? It'd be nice if we could find some documentation on the exact origin of this myth so it'd be quick to disprove with a simple reference to a document. Does anyone know what document this myth first appeared in? All I know is that it was started around WWII by the Japanese to show how their superior steel could beat the "Evil American machine gun," which is also made of extremely tough steel...  Anyone who knows anything about metallurgy knows that steel on steel contact never ends well.

Also that fake is an eyesore, weird angles all over! Sheesh.

38 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Yikes. This old piece of propaganda again? It'd be nice if we could find some documentation on the exact origin of this myth so it'd be quick to disprove with a simple reference to a document. Does anyone know what document this myth first appeared in? All I know is that it was started around WWII by the Japanese to show how their superior steel could beat the "Evil American machine gun," which is also made of extremely tough steel...  Anyone who knows anything about metallurgy knows that steel on steel contact never ends well.

Also that fake is an eyesore, weird angles all over! Sheesh.

It's a silly argument but they tried it.

https://mythresults.com/episode64

• Downvote 1

On 4/24/2022 at 10:00 AM, Sansei said:

To help newbies spot these fakes, perhaps a list of the obvious things to look for that make it clear? Some fakes are easier to spot than others.

On 4/24/2022 at 12:51 PM, Bruce Pennington said:

One of the guys was starting a document for that purpose.  Can't remember who that was.

Love the claim that someone had sliced a rifle barrel in two with a Type 95!  Maybe it was a Fake M-1!!!

I knew this would come in handy one day!

See attached. 

Fake v Real Type 95 NCO.pdf

• Like 2

On 4/24/2022 at 6:33 AM, PNSSHOGUN said:

"There are multiple documented instances where a Japanese officer took their Katana and cut the barrel of a US machine gun in half! "

Oh, Geebus! I heard about this nonsense back in high school. Can't believe someone is still peddling this stuff, with all the research to fact-check this now within a slap of a mouse button. 

On 4/25/2022 at 4:25 AM, Baba Yaga said:

I read it was a Nihonto and a 50cal. TV has done more bad than good .....Ninja. 

As I recollect (from the Board somewhere. some time) the sword was by the Shinshintou smith Takahashi Naganobu??

BaZZa.

• Like 1

Yes, and he was known colloquially as "machine gun cutter Naganobu". At best an officer may have cut into a red hot barrel a small amount and the sword survived, war time propaganda did the rest and all of a sudden inspired officers were slicing and dicing through machine guns, tanks and aircraft carriers without breaking a sweat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well gents, I have irrefutable proof that it never ever happened.  I used the Monkey Meter of Truthfullness.

The Monkey has a YouTube video titled 'Japanese sword cut through machine gun barrell'......BUT even he has used the word rumour

If there had been even a shadow of a doubt as to the veracity of the story he would of capitalised on it.  He has not done that, therefore it is simply not true.

:)

Screenshot_2022-04-27-20-19-26.png

• Haha 3

If Myth Busters say's it's not true, then it's not true. They have a team of highly trained engineers working on the Myths behind the seen. 

I actually supplied equipment to their "company" years back in the bay area. People believe a lot of common sense propaganda out

of the East for some reason.  What this leads to is a bunch of kids grabbing  grandpas old Samurai sword out of the closet and doing

TV unmanageable. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, WillFalstaff said:

It’s part of the training—read the title, but then keep attention to detail as the real stuff (header) is on the left, fake on the right. :glee:

You're right, the wording is kind of confusing. When I looked at the photo it threw me too.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, robinalexander said:

Confused me too Bruce...I think the Real and Fake columns are ok but (no offence Gabe) I would probably loose the words 'Right Side and Left Side

Criticism taken with pride!

Fixed the dicksleksik :rotfl: wording. Also added an important note from @Shamsy from the Fake Type 95 Nco Sword topic. 

Real v Fake Type 95 NCO swords.pdf

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..