Ryuminsai Kanetomo….unusual gendaito? Gunsuihaganane?

Matsunoki

Hello all

I got a good dose of  “the red mist” and recently bought this sword at auction in the UK. I attach images of the auction description, the auctioneers info re the Mei and inscription and a few of the auctioneers images. No point trying to image the blade…..the polish has gone but it is in solid “grey” undamaged condition with just one very minor chip. A wide and wild hamon is just visible…looks choji based. The saya is good quality lacquer with a few dings and cracks….but untouched as are the rest of the mounts. It’s a “sleeper”. What attracted me to it was the “made from iron sand” inscription that I have never seen before. I have now found out more about the project to find a tamahagne alternative…..this sword would possibly be a documented example? 
Can we even call it Gendaito……not made from tamahagane?

Would the NBTHK even look at it?…..non traditional wartime blade etc.

Worth  polish and s/saya? (It was not inexpensive in the first place,)
You guys will know far more about it and I would love to hear your opinions and comments. 
if I can provide any more info please ask.
Many thanks in advance.

Colin

Auctioneers info re the inscription-

“Not a problem and best of luck with the bidding! For the translation I asked an online community for Japanese sword collectors and it was essentially a communal effort.

The final translation came back as:

Side 1: Ryūminsai Kanetomo nyūdō saku kore 龍眠齋兼友入道作之 (made by Kanetomo, lay priest of the Dragon Sleeping Studio)

Side 2: 九十九里浜ノ砂鉄ニテ造ル : made with iron-sand from Kujukuri beach

They also linked me to this page which had lots of useful information about the swordsmith: “http://www.nihontocraft.com/Kanetomo.html

B49867DD-3E81-4D29-A0B8-E85177E28BAD.jpeg

7DB25877-741F-4A41-A8C1-52BFFA2F6F5B.jpeg

1184BFBD-C6A1-4EBD-A77F-35779FFE46BC.jpeg

11701FCA-315D-46C3-80DF-1ADAFC256FE2.jpeg

25AAAF37-9AEB-4938-9724-E787175DBA9F.jpeg

517C960E-6B1B-4D4C-B699-9538B76F775C.jpeg

D634E653-84BA-4282-B703-962719B76DA5.jpeg

6CAD0AEE-79E6-4BA5-9205-3010052E6C12.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Matsunoki said:

Thanks Colin

The condition of the blade now makes it hard to tell if there is hamon or not.

Just now, BANGBANGSAN said:

Thanks Colin

The condition of the blade now makes it hard to tell if there is hamon or not.

There is absolutely definitely a hamon there - present for full length and boshi but impossible to get a good image. If you look you can just see it in auctioneers pics.

Hello Colin,

I used to be quite interested at a time by Gunsui-to but get bored since they were so hard to find.

AFAIR they are all oil quenched non tamahagane swords thus not gendaito. They are closer to Mantetsu-to since resistance was a key point for those swords too.

If nakago is well finished, good shape etc, you might ask Bob Benson or Woodraw Hall if they can do something about the polish even if it is a showa-to.

Good examples of Gunsui are not common so it might look nice in polish and shirasaya.

Hi Bruno

thanks for looking and commenting 

nakago is good I think. Images attached

Trouble is the inscription just says “made from iron sand” ……doesn’t necessarily mean it’s gunsuihagane? Brian tells me above that tamahagane is made from iron sand!…thus could be a traditionally made blade? I think this smith is quite well thought of. I did find this blade by him.

http://sanmei.com/contents/media/A69928_S5089_PUP_E.htm
The hamon on my blade does look like it COULD look like that from the barely visible elements……or maybe hopeful thinking! The hamon is quite wide….around 1cm+ and the boshi is strong…because it is still visible despite the degraded polish. 
why are so many UK swords so neglected!?

all the best. Colin

FB0878BC-3EB3-4418-BF47-B783B2E8F304.jpeg

06C8AFA0-8320-4C6F-BAA2-34EF5BA54C17.jpeg

Dear Colin,

Looks like a decent blade you have here. A hadomake will tell wether it is water quenched or oil quenched imho.

AFAIK, water quenched nanban tetsu is darker than tamahagane...Sorry I can't help you much, polish is too far gone to tell.

Yes swords are still neglected nowadays by cheap polishes etc.

Bruno

Thanks David. No stamps anywhere. Is it unusual to have a lacquer saya on these army koshirae? I would have thought they would be very vulnerable ….but of course more traditional? 

10 hours ago, David Flynn said:

I would certainly class this a Gendai.  There were and still are, some smiths who make their own Tamahagane from Iron Sand.  Unless there is a Showa or Seki Stamp,  Gendai Stands.

• 2 years later...

Hi, I am the proud owner of the Kanetomo , I had been after it for over 14 years , from its original owner who put it into Halls auction. It changed hands from Colin to our mutual friend Kevin. I did a deal with Kevin earlier this year and it is now polished 

. I’m very pleased to say it has turned out perfect not a blemish. 

IMG_1361.jpeg

IMG_1360.jpeg

IMG_1359.jpeg

IMG_1339.jpeg

IMG_1338.jpeg

IMG_1335.jpeg

IMG_1332.jpeg

IMG_1352.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 3