Overpolishing of horimono

Spotted this one on the upcoming RIA auction, and just thought it was interesting enough to post.
What a shame. I know horimono need to be polished, but hopefully your togishi takes into account preserving as much detail as possible and not just flattening the whole surface.
Anyways, it probably had to be done, but the result is somewhat sad.
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/85/3255/signed-16th-century-tanto-blade-with-nthk-papers

Horiblmono.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Indeed very sad, Brian.

It is a real pity, especially as the deep carving was on both sides and the blade has an usual shape, so clearly a more bespoke, custom-made piece for a discerning owner. 

In fact, I was previously told horimono could be polished more carefully, but clearly someone in the past went for the cheaper option. 

Brian, just got done looking at that one and was still shaking my head when I looked at your post. Like you said what a shame. I bet that was beautiful before it was flattened. I would have loved to be the proud owner of that one before but have no interest in it now. 
 MikeR 

I dont think that was a detailed horimono. It looks more like rough amateur made.

Edit: I took a second look on that horimono. It was detailed and flat polished. You are right! Under photoshop you see it.

image.thumb.png.45d2b9af5145e45bd884153b72ee088e.pngimage.png.ee89f0f1d2e7e5c2ac518619c6a3a30c.png

very sad indeed.

I keep seeing flattened horimono on some swords for sale, and more frequently than I thought I would. I know Moses Becerra does rehabilitate horimono, but I guess it's not an easy (or even maybe affordable) option, after an expensive polish. I wonder what the cost to benefit ratio is for horimono restoration? 

Just bumped into this on the Kashima sisters's website, towards the bottom:

(http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/flaws.html)

"-Do not restore an original engraving-
Some engravings in old blades have been partially erased by much polishing. I wonder if you would like to restore it by some craftsman. But please never touch the original engravings. Engraving is not only a decoration putting on the blade. It is a prayer of samurai old days. You should respect original engravings even though it is erasing."

• Like 4
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..