What's happening to Gendai market?

IJASWORDS

There are three really nice Gendai swords currently for sale (in the for sale section) from Ray Singer, MarcoUdin and David Flynn. These are great traditionally made swords in very good WW2 original Koshirai. And at the moment, there doesn't appear to be a lot of interest.   

They are obviously not in the "bargain basement" price point, but they are not bargain basement swords. 

As a collector of Gunto/Gendai swords, I think these swords are all worth a serious look. 

I am seeing far less important swords sell for only a couple of hundred bucks cheaper. As Brian has said, for a bit more cash, you could buy something much better that is worth studying and enjoying. 

This should be valuable advice to NEW collectors, it is always better to buy quality, one day in the future you may regret not getting the good, a little more expensive sword. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

imho, military collectors require mint mounts to move there money hahahahha, 

gendai collectors are happy to have good gendai in shirasaya.

then there are the middle road smiths that are good by gendai ratings but are in average mounts and just dont appeal to either camps.

I HAVE sold many goood gendai for fair prices but have sold mint navy showato for more. 

its a tricky field, still cant beleive daves gens tassels are still for sale. 

I think there's a bit of snobbery involved - we're told that koto swords are the ones to aspire to ownership-wise and also modern swords lack the romance of having spent time on the hip of a samurai warrior. Gendaito are certainly overlooked from a quality point of view but this will probably change in future as the prices of antique blades increase.

• Like 1

John J, I agree with you. Not every one can afford a GREAT Koto sword however. And there are some fantastic Gendai swords that I think have the "romance" factor of being carried to war by a WW2 Japanese officer. Remember, the Japanese Gunto was the last sword actually used as a weapon of war and not as a ceremonial dress sword. 

So a nice Gendai in original Gunto mounts is as much a part of Japanese sword history as any other. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I just shake my head when arsenal machine made swords, all carbon copies, fetch more than handmade traditional swords that a smith slaved over.
But hey...the fact is the militaria guys spend more than the Nihonto guys. That's why German daggers, and Fairbairn Sykes and OSS Smatchets and other stuff fetches the high prices that they do.

• Like 2

I think the current state of our planet has a lot to do with things slowing down right now. Covid (and it’s after effects)  is still with us, seriously soaring energy and cost of living increases (here in Europe anyway)……A major war in the heart of Europe (again…who would have believed it), interest rates at virtually zero etc etc. It’s a very uncertain (and scary) world. I think before…going back say 3 years….. people generally would rather spend capital and enjoy ownership rather than keep money in the bank. Not so now it seems. I know several of the worlds leading Meiji Works of Art dealers and things are definitely slow in that market also.

The only exception seems to be when something half decent crops up in an auction and then things seem to go totally crazy. Is it like  that in the USA or Australia?

• Like 4

Ok just my 2 cents. I have been into collecting military stuff, US, German,And Japanese, since I was 10 years old. I am 69 years old now. What I have always found over all those years is that the high class- high priced items revolve in a small circle. Even the price of those items fluctuate but they seem to fluctuate the least. Next you find the middle of the road items ( with no disrespect to anyone ) where most people seem to float. This area is the area of Great items at Great prices that most of us can afford and appreciate. This section seems to take the greatest hit when things around change. It seems to be the first section to see increases when times are good and the first section to see the decreases when times turn bad. The last area that we find is the entry level, lower condition- lower desirable items that ALL can afford. This area never seems to fluctuate. EVERYONE can afford to be in this area. When times are tuff we all justify a little stash just to go out and keep us in the circle and we can always find something in this area to take home.
  I think at this time we are in that down turn of the second-center section.  A few years ago that same section was seeing a Great upward movement.  I learned over all these years to BUY THE BEST THAT I COULD AFFORD, TO BUY WHAT I ENJOY AND WHAT MAKES ME HAPPY And it has worked well for me. I have sold items over the years for less than I paid BUT the look on the new owners face, having just spent all the money they had more than made up for my loss. Enjoy what you have, buy the best that you can afford and don’t sweat the ones that got away. I always take the time to enjoy the ones that I can’t afford and consider myself lucky to have been given that opportunity. Getting into Japanese Swords was the best thing that I ever did as the people that you meet,  NO MATTER WHAT AREA THEY REVOLVE IN are ALWAYS willing to spend time with you and share what they know. Thank you to ALL HERE ON THE FORUM that have helped me along this journey, to the late Bob Elder from the Orlando Show that was always there for me, to Martin from Pa ,to Jim from Fla. and to Ray and Mark

MikeR 

• Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Michaelr said:

Ok just my 2 cents. I have been into collecting military stuff, US, German,And Japanese, since I was 10 years old. I am 69 years old now. What I have always found over all those years is that the high class- high priced items revolve in a small circle. Even the price of those items fluctuate but they seem to fluctuate the least. Next you find the middle of the road items ( with no disrespect to anyone ) where most people seem to float. This area is the area of Great items at Great prices that most of us can afford and appreciate. This section seems to take the greatest hit when things around change. It seems to be the first section to see increases when times are good and the first section to see the decreases when times turn bad. The last area that we find is the entry level, lower condition- lower desirable items that ALL can afford. This area never seems to fluctuate. EVERYONE can afford to be in this area. When times are tuff we all justify a little stash just to go out and keep us in the circle and we can always find something in this area to take home.

Michael...just a comment if I may ...that is a perfect description of the 'housing market', at least here in Australia!

• Haha 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..