Help Identifying a Gunto sword

Sam_

Hi,

I recentlly got this sword from a friend, I really don't knonw much about swords and I would appreciate if you could help me identify/authenticate it.  The sheath is made of metal with a wooden shell inside of it. From the reaserch I did I think it might by a type 94 or 98 gunto but i really have no idea. There are also some inscriptions on both sides of the tang, any help translating those would also be appreciated. I also noticed that there is a modern looking screw on the sheath (the last picture I think) which makes me a bit worried about the swords authenticity.

I know that there is another thread for the translation but I don't know if I should just repost the same sword overthere. 

IMG_20220421_233334735.jpg

IMG_20220421_233904091.jpg

IMG_20220420_230746902.jpg

IMG_20220420_230807300.jpg

IMG_20220421_232207596.jpg

IMG_20220421_232706677.jpg

IMG_20220421_233314203.jpg

thanks for the information,

I'm very happy to know it's authentic and from the war.  Is there a way to know which ranks it would have been assigned to. Also I'm guessing that the smith's name is the side of the tang with the two characters and the date is the side with several characters. Does that side have just the date inscribed on it or does it also have other info. Also, I would like to know if any pieces are missing and if there is any way to safely make sure all the pieces are firmly attached together and to the blade as they are all kind of loose right now. 

33 minutes ago, Sam_ said:

thanks for the information,

I'm very happy to know it's authentic and from the war.  Is there a way to know which ranks it would have been assigned to. Also I'm guessing that the smith's name is the side of the tang with the two characters and the date is the side with several characters. Does that side have just the date inscribed on it or does it also have other info. Also, I would like to know if any pieces are missing and if there is any way to safely make sure all the pieces are firmly attached together and to the blade as they are all kind of loose right now. 

Samuel,

If you want to restore the wrapping, you can contact David via his website:

http://www.montanairon.com/swords.html

The scews on the koiguchi may not be appropriate. It is possible I guess to find replica if you ask Greg Gulch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..