To oil Nakago or not, and if so how?

I oil my Nakgao with a tissue paper and a little oil and use my fingers as little as possible to place back into the shirasaya.  Before replacing back into the Shirasya I check for any tissue paper which may accumulate and cause a spot. One is on a 1478 mei sword with nice patina, the other is a gendai RS with here and there patina. I would think this helps preserve the Nakago and inscriptions and prevent further degradation, so further generations can apprreciate. However, the patina can help with sword age. Given the situation what are your thoughts?

I do it on active, red rust and only from time to time on older blades. I use my fingers to apply as I don't want to alter anything as it is. If using cloth I'd probably dampen gently rather than anything else.

Johnny

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..