I want to bid on this, but my rookie brain tells me to walk away?

MHC

Attached are 3 poor online supplied pictures, this is not an Ebay listing.

It is signed, but basically unreadable due to corrosion.

I'm guessing Shinto era, of older revival style blade???

14.25" Nagasa but incorrectly advertised as a Tanto.

Not looking for advise, just observations.

Thanks

Mark

IMG_4735.webp

IMG_4737r.jpg

IMG_4736.jpg

Hi Mark,

I think your instincts are probably pretty good with this one.

I'll take a punt - it might be older than shinto as there isn't much hamachi left and it looks like the point might have had a reworking - the geometry looks slightly off (could be me though). There looks to be a suguba hamon, so that would fit with virtually every school of swordmaking at some point, so there's nothing I can see to narrow it down school wise. The kozuka might be OK but the rest of the fittings look uninspiring.

I don't think you'll get a lot of enjoyment from owning this as there's little to be seen in the blade and, as the signature is obscured, there's nothing to suggest that it is viable as a "doer upper" and unless you can get it for a couple of hundred bucks I'd pass on it.

Hope that helps to inform your decision making.

Hello John,

It would appear that it is always best to go with your gut, especially when you have limited practical knowledge, I think this one would be best to fall by the wayside.

The taper of the blade is the most concerning to me for it being older than Shinto, seeing how it is a Wakizashi size. If it where an earlier blade I would have expected less or no taper on such a short blade.

There are more photos online, that allow one to make out "Moto" as the third character in the Mei, but everything else is 70-90% obscured. Moot point at this juncture.

Mark

I looked back, and that actually is the best picture of the Mei.

則 nori is possible but, all the right half is un-readable

元 moto is a much closer match, but the left half is very, very vague.

I've decided not to pursue this item, so it's all a moot point now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..