Help with 1st Japanese sword

I just bought my first Japanese ww2 Katana.  Well traded for it actually.  I know almost nothing about it other than what the guy told me. I included a pic of the blade tip because the grain pattern looks unusual.  He told me the ring on the throat of the scabbard is wrong. Should be a darker colored one. Said it was probably put on in the field. He also told me he believes the Smith was yoshitada. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

20220420_193904.jpg

20220420_194001.jpg

20220420_194049.jpg

20220420_194129.jpg

20220420_194611.jpg

20220420_194623.jpg

20220420_194626.jpg

20220420_194655.jpg

Hi Jim congratulations you have a genuine Rinji Seishiki (RS) gunto.  Commonly called a Type 3.  The last of the officers sword 'patterns' in WW2.

More info on this sword here http://ohmura-study.net/ (see Type 3)

The ring on the ashi looks ok to me (?) and from the pics, the 'grain' on the kissaki (tip) looks a little more like pitting (light rust damage) than grain. 

Others will chime in I'm sure.

Rob

• Thanks 1

Hi Jim,

I think there has been some light corrosion at the tip. Looks like it's been cleaned off and it left some slight pitting there. It may have occurred during the blade's use in theatre or later through neglect but don't think it's anything to worry about and please don't try to further clean it yourself as that may ruin the shape of the blade - just treat it as part of the blade's history. Enjoy it!

• Like 1

Hi,

It seems that the seller was referring to the kuchigane. It seems that it was replaced by one of the Type 98. If during the war or recently I understand it is impossible to confirm.

Jim, in this other Ohmura page (which complements the one Rob indicated) you can check the differences between both kuchigane directly, being the correct one iron and black paint (matching with the rest of the fittings). 

http://ohmura-study.net/905.html

Regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dang!  Best team-work thread I've ever seen, brings tears to my eyes!  Love it. (I'd say I'm joking.....but I'm not!)

Last tid-bit - the small stamp, partially struck, is the "Gifu in Sakura" stamp.  We began seeing them on blades in 1943, when the "Seki" stamp ended.  Seki is in the Gifu prefecture.  The Seki Cutlery Manufacturers Assoc. used the Seki stamp to mark approved showato, but the Nagoya Army Arsenal absconded the stamp to use as one of their Inspector stamps in 1943.  It is speculated, not known, that the Association started using the Gifu in Sakura as their stamp from that point onward.  Most of the dated blades with it are in 1945, but a good many of '44 blades have them, and just a few '43 blades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Jim

I live in Maumee, so next door. If you need parts or help let me know. i am at a sword show now but will be home next week

mark

Being so close I would love to have you look it over and give your opinion of it maybe try and answer a few questions 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..