Robust Shinshinto

Tengu1957

Something robust !
Shinshinto 
Katana signed Fujiwara  Kunishige - dated 1861  77.5 cm
NBTHK Hozon 
A very hefty sword. It's been said that Samurai who carried extra long swords at this time were mostly rebels who supported the Emperor. Those that supported the Bakufu tended to carry swords that were shorter and more resembled Shinto swords perhaps to allude to a time when the Bakufu was in control.

FB_IMG_1650412765703.jpg

FB_IMG_1650412795232.jpg

FB_IMG_1650412774494.jpg

FB_IMG_1650412811935.jpg

FB_IMG_1650412758652.jpg

FB_IMG_1650412782633.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Your sword is gorgeous, it looks very powerful with its long kissaki.

Are you alluding to a kinnoto in your description ? I remembered (from Aoi Arts pictures) that kinnoto had an extra long nakago (among other things) that I can't see on your sword so I checked Markus' encyclopedia of Japanese swords and I don't think your sword qualifies as one: the nagasa should be at least 80 cms and the nakago is too short (once you've seen a kinnoto nakago, you just can't forget it).  

image.thumb.png.cf47ff6470b20ed389d362d5046c1aa5.png

• Like 1

There was a long discussion of this on this site in 2020. I have seen Bakamatsu swords that are longer than usual with a flatter sori referred to as Kinnoto style. I don't think sword smiths adhered to specific dimensions and have never seen a origami designating as sword as Kinnoto. Just like Satsuma rebellion sword fittings are called such because they were lower quality and put together , often with plain pieces of metal in place of menuki. There are no specific designation of Satsuma rebellion fittings. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..